Railroad Forums 

• Canadian Rail Car Ferries

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#93177  by riffian

Hello list! I'm interested in remaining self-propelled (as opposed to tug and barge) railroad ferries. specifically interested in the former ferries Incan Superior and Incan St Laurent. Incan Superior was rebuilt as Princess Superior for Vancouver Island Service by Seaspan Coastal Intermodal. they also own another rail/ truck trailer combo ferry called "Carrier Princess". These two vessels are in Vancouver/Nanaimo service, although I thought freight service to Vancouver Island had pretty much dried up. What is the current picture on this service? Does anyone know the whereabouts of the former Incan St Laurent? These two vessels were built for Thunder Bay, Ont. to Superior, Wisc. service, but both have moved on. Any info on current rail car ferry operations greatly appreciated!

Bill Root
 #93478  by ENR3870

riffian wrote:Hello list! I'm interested in remaining self-propelled (as opposed to tug and barge) railroad ferries. specifically interested in the former ferries Incan Superior and Incan St Laurent. Incan Superior was rebuilt as Princess Superior for Vancouver Island Service by Seaspan Coastal Intermodal. they also own another rail/ truck trailer combo ferry called "Carrier Princess". These two vessels are in Vancouver/Nanaimo service, although I thought freight service to Vancouver Island had pretty much dried up. What is the current picture on this service? Does anyone know the whereabouts of the former Incan St Laurent? These two vessels were built for Thunder Bay, Ont. to Superior, Wisc. service, but both have moved on. Any info on current rail car ferry operations greatly appreciated!

Bill Root
The run to the E&N at Wellcox in Nanaimo is done with the Carrier Princess I think. Not sure which barges service the other industrial railroads up and down the island. Currently the E&N gets 1 barge a week, usually on Mondays in the mid to late morning.