Railroad Forums 

• What is it? (switcher #5118)

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#323334  by MEC407

Came across these photos of a "new" switcher in South Carolina. Check 'em out:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=572141

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=572138

Anybody got any info? I'd love to know what's under the hood.
 #323467  by Komachi

To paraphrase Slim Pickins in "Blazing Saddles,"

"What in the Wide, Wide, World of Sports is that thing?"

Is that a prototype for an as-of-yet-to-be-marketed switcher, or is that a homebild from heck* that is to be unleashed upon the hapless railroading community? Just currious.

Now, where is my stash of torches and my pitchfork...?

#323476  by MEC407

A couple of people on LocoNotes seem to have evidence that its frame came from a G&O GP10. It does appear to have EMD trucks, so that is likely where the frame came from. The rest of it would appear to be all new construction. The multi-colored beacons on the side of the cab suggest that it is remote control equipped.

Even though it's new, it has a very 1930s-1940s switcher appearance, especially the shape of the cab and the shape and placement of the windows.

I really wanna know what's under the hood! :-D
 #323504  by Komachi

Yeah, I noticed the "Christmas Display" on the side of the cab (denoting r/c capibilites). Can I play too? :-D

It's deffinately "retro." Looks like the design team took cues from the ALCo. S-series. And, yes, I, too, am currious to know what's under the hood.

Where are my Bothan spys when I need them? :P

#323755  by MEC407

Somebody else on LocoNotes said they thought this thing was built by the Pickens Railway, but I'm not sure if that's fact or speculation. The photo caption does say Pickens, SC, but that doesn't mean anything.

It does make my imagination go into 8th notch thinking about the possibility that they had, say, a rusty old U18B with lots of body and electrical problems, but with a perfectly good FDL-8 inside... so they pulled the FDL and put it in this new switcher. That would be fun to watch... a "brand new" switcher that chugs and barks just like a U-Boat! :-D

#323876  by dansapo

MEC407 wrote:Somebody else on LocoNotes said they thought this thing was built by the Pickens Railway, but I'm not sure if that's fact or speculation. The photo caption does say Pickens, SC, but that doesn't mean anything.

It does make my imagination go into 8th notch thinking about the possibility that they had, say, a rusty old U18B with lots of body and electrical problems, but with a perfectly good FDL-8 inside... so they pulled the FDL and put it in this new switcher. That would be fun to watch... a "brand new" switcher that chugs and barks just like a U-Boat! :-D

Quick
Step on it before it gets to the children!
Judging by the poling pockets in the frame.It would be built before 1963.
Heres my guess
Older EMD SW frame-SW7 or older SW-9(round indented poling pocket)new sw9's have a different pocket
They moved the cab all the way back where the rear step(battery boxes)
They seem to be in front of the cab now.
Motive power? My guess is CAT. PURE SPECULATION
Okay guys what ya think?
 #324417  by Komachi

dansapo pondered...

"My guess is CAT. PURE SPECULATION"

Meow, what would make you think that? :P

Seriously though, I'm in the modified SW camp. As for a PM, I'd have to hear the thing to tell, although, I would think the road would try to re-use as much original equipment as they could to reduce cost and would probably be using the one that originally came with the unit.

Anybody have a contact on the Pickens that can "neither confirm nor deny" any details of this... thing?

dansapo also interjected...

"Quick
Step on it before it gets to the children!"

Which is why I was looking for my torches and pitchforks.

Oh, and somebody get Police Inspector Hans Willhelm Friedrich Kemp and Frau Blucher, they've had experience with situations like this! :-D

(Any chance we can get it do do a rendition of "Putting on the Ritz?")

#324577  by dansapo

Somebody called?

I figured that if they went through bs of building a whole new body why not give it a new PM.
 #324618  by Komachi

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
(Can you tell the moderator is pleased?)

As for the PM speculation. It's entirely possible. If they spent the cash to practically build a new unit from the ground up, they probably splurged for a new engine. Meow, the question at hand is, is it a GE, EMD, CAT or F-M (as in one of the ALCo. 251 models)?

#326559  by dansapo

Peoria Locomotive Works? SC15-C They use a CAT 3512 PM Can anyone find a image?They SC15-A looks like a UP SW14.

#327322  by 2spot

I'm less convinced. The Tazewell & Peoria RR runs Peoria built SC15A & PL500 locomotives that dont have too much in common with the Pickens switcher other than EMD trucks and endcab layouts. The cabs are very different, the hoods and hood height seem different and the PICK unit has a radiator shell. I could be wrong, but judge for yourself. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=TZPR
I suspect this is a zombie built on an old SW type chassis with considerable new sheetmetal.