Railroad Forums 

• MA - Southern New England Trail Walking Tour - Millville

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#529673  by stvigi

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the group. The Southern New England Trail follows the route of the old New York and New England Railroad (later New Haven, and Penn Central) "Air Line" through southern New England.

I have been a National Park Service for the last 15 years. I hold a walk on the 1st. Sunday of each month (May-Oct) and discuss railroads, canals and mills here in the valley. Here is the release that the Park Service puts into the local papers and I hope to see some of you there.

Discover the Millville Lock with a National Park Service Volunteer from the John H. Chafee Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor this Sunday, May 4th, 2008. Hike along the old New York and New England "Air Line" rail trail to visit the best-preserved lock along the Blackstone Canal. Along the way, you will learn a little about the history of Millville and the role of the canal and railroad here. Then continue to the Triad Bridge (P&W, NH, SNE) overlooking the Blackstone River, where you will hear about the Southern New England Railroad – the rail line that sank with the Titanic. This free tour begins at 2:00 PM and last about an hour and half. Most of the trail is flat, but please wear sturdy walking shoes, bring water, insect repellent and your camera. Meet at the parking lot across from St. John's Church, Hope St., Millville, MA. For more information about this programs from the Blackstone River Valley NHC, please call 401-762-0440.

When: Sunday, May 4th, 2008 at 2:00 PM
Where: Meet at the parking lot across from St. John's Church, corner of Hope St. and Central Streets, Millville, MA

Thanks

Steve
 #599641  by Agent at Clicquot

stvigi wrote:you will hear about the Southern New England Railroad – the rail line that sank with the Titanic.
While it's true Charles Hayes perished on that Night to Remember, but most of the work done on the SNE right of way was completed after his death.

In reading Larry Lowenthal's book (Titanic Railroad), I got the sense that much of the masonry work that survives today was installed after the desire to complete the route had largely abated and was done to settle a disagreement with the construction outfit. Too bad ... the Massachusetts segment would make a decent tourist route if it was operable and steam-powered today.

* JB *
 #880531  by lbern

Agent at Clicquot wrote:
stvigi wrote:you will hear about the Southern New England Railroad – the rail line that sank with the Titanic.
While it's true Charles Hayes perished on that Night to Remember, but most of the work done on the SNE right of way was completed after his death.

In reading Larry Lowenthal's book (Titanic Railroad), I got the sense that much of the masonry work that survives today was installed after the desire to complete the route had largely abated and was done to settle a disagreement with the construction outfit. Too bad ... the Massachusetts segment would make a decent tourist route if it was operable and steam-powered today.
* JB *
 #880945  by stvigi

Most work performed here in the Blackstone Valley was around 1914 (at least the Millville, Blackstone work).
The photo of the New Haven Millville Heights RR Station shows the SNE Berm being built in the back/
We can accurately date this due to work father down the line where the SNE would have gone over Angelique Brook.
It would have been an impressive site w/ three bridges going over the blackstone, the only other 3 level bridge is in Virginia.
The bridges shown here are the P&W (Bottom), New Haven (Middle), and the SNE would have gone over both.
The concrete foundation is all that remains in this portion of the Blackstone.