Railroad Forums 

• NY - Rutland Trail (Western Northern Division)

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#217019  by RussNelson

We've got a website (http://rutlandtrail.org/) for the Rutland Trail in Northern New York. It's appropriate for ATVs, snowmobiles, and mountain bikes. Unfortunately broken in two places by missing bridges (Winthrop and North Lawrence), there are nearby road bridges which serve as a work-around. The trail is not likely to be joined to other sections of the Rutland. To the west the tracks are still in place, and to the east the trail has been built upon, and two bridges removed.

There are several other sections of the Rutland Northern Division which are being used as trails, but I don't have any information on them.

#236306  by RussNelson

I've spent a few evenings this week getting tired and muddy, cleaning out drainage ditches. Today's work involved using a come-along to pull an old tie out of the ditch. Once I had that cleared, and some dirt removed, I was able to drain another puddle. I'm nearly at the point of draining the worst puddle on the trail. It's about 30' long and 1' deep.

#241261  by RussNelson

Spent five hours over two days trying to clear that huge puddle. I've managed to lower it by 6", but that still leaves a lot of water. Shifted a dozen ties out of the ditch. Them puppies weigh a lot when they're waterlogged. Maybe when we schedule a work day we can get several people hauling on them.

Had a meeting with Lowell Kelsey, Supervisor of the Town of Stockholm. He's fully behind the idea of a managed, signed public trail. He even expressed some interest in purchasing more of the railbed from willing sellers. So when I was out today, I told every passing ATV rider that they should write a letter of support for the trail to Lowell.
 #336665  by rls62

Russ,

I drove through Malone (Route 11) in late November and it looks like the former Rutland right-of-way just east of that town is being rehabilitated into a rail trail. I think I even saw some signage indicating that it's a trail. Any idea of what's going on here?

Thanks,
Bob
 #336770  by RussNelson

rls62 wrote:I drove through Malone (Route 11) in late November and it looks like the former Rutland right-of-way just east of that town is being rehabilitated into a rail trail. I think I even saw some signage indicating that it's a trail. Any idea of what's going on here?
No idea, but it sounds like a great idea to me! It's open as a snowmobile trail from the Malone Union Station on the east side of town out to Route 11. Past that somebody is using the railbed as their driveway, and past that it's gated or fenced off most of the way to Burke. Into and through Burke you can ride it, but it's only like 2 miles tops.

Maybe somebody has persuaded the landowners to open up the gates and take down the fences??

#336781  by rls62

Next time I'm up there I'll take a look around, although that won't be until the spring. Speaking of railtrails, I've hiked a section of the ex-NYC Adirondack branch south of Malone near Whippleville. It's maintained by a local snowmobile group. Nice view from up there!

#336877  by RussNelson

rls62 wrote:Next time I'm up there I'll take a look around, although that won't be until the spring. Speaking of railtrails, I've hiked a section of the ex-NYC Adirondack branch south of Malone near Whippleville. It's maintained by a local snowmobile group. Nice view from up there!
Yep. I've bicycled the entire NYC Adirondack branch from the Canadian border south to Malone, and most of the railbed
from Malone to Lake Clear Junction.. I've also ridden the vast majority of the Rutland which one can physically ride, all described on my page,
Bicycling the Rutland Northern Division.

#337141  by rls62

Cool! I'm glad to know that the Adirondack Division is mostly bikeable all the way to Lake Clear Junction. That's beautiful country up there. Sounds like a road trip!

BTW, I visited your website yesterday. Nice job. Keep up the good work!!
 #337598  by RussNelson

rls62 wrote:looks like the former Rutland right-of-way just east of that town is being rehabilitated into a rail trail.
Hmmm.... Took a drive that way this afternoon. Went as far as the first crossing of the Rutland with Rt. 11. Didn't see anything new. Could you describe what you saw and perhaps where?

#337645  by rls62

Route 11 east of the village of Malone between Brainardsville Rd and Townline Rd. Maybe I'm mistaken. I was traveling at about 50 mph. Next time I'm up there I'll check it out.

#337724  by RussNelson

Sure you're not talking about the NYC Adirondack Branch? Goes right next to the Agway on the south, and parallels a power line on the north? That's definitely being used by snowmobilers.

#337725  by rls62

No. It's the Rutland.