Railroad Forums 

• MA - Georgetown Branch - Bradford Rail Trail

• General discussion related to Rail Trails and rail-related recreation nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails and rail-related recreation nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#1549805  by BostonUrbEx

The Bradford Rail Trail started in 2017 or 2018, I think, with the original trailhead next to the former junction with the still-active Western Route Main Line in the Bradford section of Haverhill. The other end of the rail trail is the Basiliere Bridge and Crescent Yacht Club. I'm not sure what challenges lie ahead to reach Groveland (possibly a few property issues, and maybe a couple bridges), but once the trail reaches Groveland it is very straightforward to extend it the rest of the way to Georgetown. In downtown Georgetown, the Georgetown Branch used to meet the Newburyport Branch at a wye. The Newburyport Branch is slowly being rail trailed in full from Wakefield Jct to Newburyport as a part of the broader "Border-to-Boston Trail" project, and the Bradford Rail Trail would feed nicely into it.
 #1559241  by artman

Here is a link to a 2012 study that discusses in depth the challenges facing this route. Overall, their are no real property issues (surprisingly). I have been walking this route in segments, with my dog, over the last month. We have completed it, with the exception of a short segment near Lakeridge Drive and Terrace Way in Georgetown. There is some encroachment on the power company (Eversource) land hosting the high tension lines.

https://mvpc.org/wp-content/uploads/Geo ... -study.pdf

I am tempted to walk this section of the corridor anyways, although I anticipate some homeowners yelling at me, even though they don't own the land