Railroad Forums 

• THE ULTIMATE NYA INDUSTRIES MAP

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1210758  by saucejstuder

DogBert wrote: Bass Oil hasn't gotten tanks in awhile now. Pretty sure they are closed. Same for Supreme. Both tracks are beat up. Supreme's has a fence across it.
Bass has been receiving a rare car lately, but you're right, they had not received any for a long time.
NYCS wrote:The map has been revised to a new simple color scheme:
Also, can anyone verify if the customer labeled as David Rosen Bakery still receives rail service, and if the customer just north of them - Supreme Poly - is also a rail customer? Both of these are on the far end of the Bushwick. Thanks!
Rosen still gets at least a couple cars per week. Supreme poly isn't rail served.
 #1211298  by tj48

You might well be able to code Amerigas in Wyandanch red. Passed by on Saturday and all the trucks you would normally see in the complex were gone. The filling room where you would normally see the propane cylinders being filled or waiting to be filled was completely empty.
 #1211365  by NYCS

saucejstuder wrote:
DogBert wrote: Bass Oil hasn't gotten tanks in awhile now. Pretty sure they are closed. Same for Supreme. Both tracks are beat up. Supreme's has a fence across it.
Bass has been receiving a rare car lately, but you're right, they had not received any for a long time.
NYCS wrote:The map has been revised to a new simple color scheme:
Also, can anyone verify if the customer labeled as David Rosen Bakery still receives rail service, and if the customer just north of them - Supreme Poly - is also a rail customer? Both of these are on the far end of the Bushwick. Thanks!
Rosen still gets at least a couple cars per week. Supreme poly isn't rail served.
Where do they deliver to Rosen and what kind of cars? From looking at all the satellite imagery and birds-eye imagery, all show what seem to be a static (BNSF?) boxcar that looks to appear to be used as storage? I wonder what Rosen receives. Hmm... Thanks for the note about Supreme Poly. I will update the map.
 #1211388  by freightguy

Amerigas in Wyandanch was bought out by Paraco gas. Not sure but it could mean more tanks going to the Riverhead location. A costumer has also begun to ship out waste oil from Brookhaven Rail Terminal.
 #1211448  by saucejstuder

NYCS wrote: Where do they deliver to Rosen and what kind of cars? From looking at all the satellite imagery and birds-eye imagery, all show what seem to be a static (BNSF?) boxcar that looks to appear to be used as storage? I wonder what Rosen receives. Hmm... Thanks for the note about Supreme Poly. I will update the map.

They deliver in the spot that the box car is, it's a rail dock into the building. Flour and maybe sometimes sugar, I think... always boxes.
 #1218327  by rscott417

The old manhattan beer dist. 3 track siding in the Bronx is all torn up, not sure if they're replacing the track but as of today it's gone.
 #1259401  by NYCS

As per recent chatter, AMCO Plastics in Farmingdale has been changed to "NO LONGER IN SERVICE" and replaced with a red placemark.

Shame. The Island doesn't have that much more to lose before freight rail is gone forever...

http://goo.gl/maps/sYovz
 #1259556  by rscott417

NYCS wrote:?..and replaced with a red placemark...

If you're making red place marks, the green one you have for manhattan beer dist in the Bronx you can replace with a red one also. The 3 track siding was torn up, paved over and the whole length of the wall was replaced with truck docks. Manhattan beer moved to a building on the same track as the New Haven building but closer to the yard and unfortunately only spots one car, quite a decrease from the 12 or more they used to get.
 #1259610  by Sir Ray

rscott417 wrote:

If you're making red place marks, the green one you have for manhattan beer dist in the Bronx you can replace with a red one also. The 3 track siding was torn up, paved over and the whole length of the wall was replaced with truck docks. Manhattan beer moved to a building on the same track as the New Haven building but closer to the yard and unfortunately only spots one car, quite a decrease from the 12 or more they used to get.
That doesn't really square with what Manhattan Beer stated last year when they announced the move:
MBD’s move represents a $65 million investment, with 350,000 square feet of warehouse space including over 100,000 square feet of refrigerated space, with a goal of reaching the highest level of LEED certification. It took five years to locate, acquire and develop the 19-acre site within the congested confines of the South Bronx.
[ETA]Locate? Looks likes the 955 East 149th location is right over the fence from their Walnut Avenue location
The new location will enhance Manhattan Beer’s position as one of America’s most environmentally friendly wholesalers. The new headquarters will feature LED lighting, a high-efficiency Trane heating and cooling system, spray foam insulated walls and ceilings, a CNG fueling station with a goal of converting 50% of its 300 truck fleet to CNG within the next 5 years, a 26 car rail siding which minimizes the use of over the road tractor trailers, and water free urinals to minimize water consumption.
Looks like they're getting some decent tax breaks for their new location, BTW:
B. Costs to City (New York City taxes to be exempted):
Mortgage Recording Tax Benefit: $609,375
Land Tax Abatement (NPV, 25 years): $4,776,819
Building Tax Exemption (NPV, 25 years): $18,236,105
Sales Tax Exemption: $249,328
Total Cost to NYC $ 23,871,627
 #1259646  by NYCS

Sir Ray wrote:
rscott417 wrote:

That doesn't really square with what Manhattan Beer stated last year when they announced the move:
MBD’s move represents a $65 million investment, with 350,000 square feet of warehouse space including over 100,000 square feet of refrigerated space, with a goal of reaching the highest level of LEED certification. It took five years to locate, acquire and develop the 19-acre site within the congested confines of the South Bronx.
[ETA]Locate? Looks likes the 955 East 149th location is right over the fence from their Walnut Avenue location
The new location will enhance Manhattan Beer’s position as one of America’s most environmentally friendly wholesalers. The new headquarters will feature LED lighting, a high-efficiency Trane heating and cooling system, spray foam insulated walls and ceilings, a CNG fueling station with a goal of converting 50% of its 300 truck fleet to CNG within the next 5 years, a 26 car rail siding which minimizes the use of over the road tractor trailers, and water free urinals to minimize water consumption.
Looks like they're getting some decent tax breaks for their new location, BTW:
B. Costs to City (New York City taxes to be exempted):
Mortgage Recording Tax Benefit: $609,375
Land Tax Abatement (NPV, 25 years): $4,776,819
Building Tax Exemption (NPV, 25 years): $18,236,105
Sales Tax Exemption: $249,328
Total Cost to NYC $ 23,871,627
Thanks for the info guys! I knew about Manhattan Beer moving, but wasn't ready to move/change the placemark until I saw some proof, hopefully some photos, and learned more about it. I was hoping Google had the latest imagery, but they still show the old location. 26 car siding!? That is incredible; perhaps one of the largest customers in NYC/LI outside of WM Harlem River in terms of railcar capacity. I really hope this is true. Anyone have any pics of the "new" Manhattan Beer location, or are the upgrades still taking place?

Just found this promotional video from their site. They import 2/3 of their product by rail, with plenty of shots of railcars and unloading dock in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tDJS5kIyNI
I doubt that 2/3 railcar figure will change anytime soon :-D
Last edited by NYCS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1259651  by DogBert

So they're getting tax breaks to rely on more trucks?

Not sure what car capacity at Maspeth is but superior aggregate moves an awful lot of cars during stone season. There's usually at least 10-15 in there. The C&D guys have less track capacity but utilize it effectively.
 #1259652  by NYCS

Manhattan Beer imports 70% of its beer by rail, in accordance with their logistics strategy. I doubt that's going to change anytime soon. The CNG trucks are for local delivery. This is actually one of the best distribution strategies I've seen in the New York region: import 70% of your product by rail, and distribute locally using "green" trucks. No one can argue against that. I fully support tax breaks to any company who uses rail, and even further tax incentives as a tool to encourage rail service for companies currently not doing so.

The new Jetro fortress, by comparison, is completely walled off by reinforced walls almost trying to make a statement to keep rail OUT. Yet they are located right smack in the middle of Oak Point Yard. Even Jetro's Restaurant Depot location in Queens next to the old Phelps Dodge site has no rail access, yet it is directly alongside the Lower Montauk branch. They received $21M in tax incentives in order to build their anti-rail, truck-only walled-off fortress in the Bronx.
 #1259781  by rscott417

Sir Ray wrote: That doesn't really square with what Manhattan Beer stated last year when they announced the move
I'm telling you that siding is gone, I drive passed it on the Bruckner on my way to work and have been watching it ever since I noticed it and posted about it in September. If I can get a picture I will.