Railroad Forums 

• NYNJ Rail Sightings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1017870  by rscott417

Not sure if this belongs here but for those interested, i got pictures of the former NYCHRR #25 in its new livery at River Side Park as NYC 8625.
 #1018009  by rscott417

Really not worth the trip IMO. Its not well maintained, I was pretty disappointed. I thought there would be a plaque or something about the engine atleast saying where it came from, why its there, etc.
 #1018035  by Ðauntless

Its nice to see the engine saved, but it really does not belong there. What they did to the other side of it is a shame as well.

Atleast the float bridge is getting restored finally though.
 #1022734  by tahawus84

nice videos thanks for sharing. I never realized they hauled so many cars down in that area and I was surprised at how fast they seem to be going.
 #1022782  by rb

Nice.

Even more rebar (loads in, empties out). Makes me wonder if Ideal Steel is taking cars again at St. James. There's a video on YouTube from a few years ago showing a CN flat of rebar being delivered to the team track there.

Anyone in BK know if 65th St yard is still being used to unload things?

Hmmm....
 #1022797  by Ðauntless

The majority of the boxcars are Brick, Im pretty sure there going up to CSX now, they used to be in 65th street. Which as far as I still know is empty while they figure that out..
 #1022878  by freightguy

No one really liked to use 65 St to transload. Tristate Brick was there for years, than left. Of course different lease agreements with the city terminated throughout the years since it has been open. It's ashame since the rebuilding of the floatbridges since 1999 that NYA and NYRR haven't used the yard for anything more then storage and interchange. A few of the marketing people felt Bay Ridge is too far out of the way and not really appealing for cosignees to transload materials there. IMHO, Long Island City would of certainly been an ideal location right off LIE. Now the former Yard A will be a passenger layover yard for East Side Access when complemeted.

Good eye with the rebar, that apparently goes on the Bushwick branch(NYA) near Kings Materials towards the end of the line.
 #1047708  by rscott417

Again, I have no idea if this belongs here but I found it interesting. I was driving along Bradley Avenue in Staten Island and just happened to take notice of this sign.
Closer examination shows some sort of Return to New York Cross Harbor Railroad sticker, anyone know what it was used for?
 #1047738  by jtunnel

The Gons seem to get stored as traffic patterns change.

As for the other tracks, the past few weeks I've seen different cars spotted there. (These from last Friday, 5/18, shot Sunday)

http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=3030423

I've heard NY&A moving stuff over there after NYNJ RR crews go home, but have not had a chance to see it in person.
 #1047764  by Tommy Meehan

It used to be called the Cross Harbor Railroad. Now, it's New York New Jersey Rail. It has nine workers, two locomotives, one old barge and a watery 2½ mile right of way across the bay to Brooklyn from a forgotten waterfront rail yard in Jersey City called Greenville.

Below is a link to an article about the NYNJ RR in yesterday's Wall Street Journal. Has a very nice video too.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... orsPicks_1