Railroad Forums 

• NYNJ Rail Sightings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1397045  by rr503

OK
Thanks!
What's the best time during the week?
As a side note, I was there yesterday and the aforementioned gons were at 51st street. Their wheels seemed to be rusty.
Another question: back in the mid 2000s, the NYNJ/NYCH seemed to be doing good business on 1st avenue, with many active spurs and transloading at the yard. Transloading has moved to 65th, but where did all the customers go? With Yi Pin gone, there are none left!
 #1397122  by Sir Ray

rr503 wrote:Another question: back in the mid 2000s, the NYNJ/NYCH seemed to be doing good business on 1st avenue, with many active spurs and transloading at the yard. Transloading has moved to 65th, but where did all the customers go? With Yi Pin gone, there are none left!
If you forgot about it, Phil's NY Harbor Industrial & Marine Railroad site on NYCH/NYRR etc. covers a lot of the former customers. Not all the info is tabulated, but there seems to be enough descriptions to give an overview of the above questions.
 #1397139  by rr503

Yup! I lost the link and couldn't find it again for the life of me.
Thanks a million!
 #1397161  by freightguy

The NYNJ has two active customers in 65st. There is both Kamco and Sherwood Lumber in the yard towards the team tracks.
 #1397209  by jtunnel

What's the best time during the week?

Day typically starts at 7 AM, however they tend to start earlier during the summer/warmer weather.
 #1397287  by 1890rOGERS460

It's a shame that they have so little activity along First Avenue now. Not only did it provide for good trainspoting when that had more customers, but the neighborhood is so congested with the truck traffic.
 #1397403  by rr503

I was down in the area today. Not much of interest was happening on 1st ave., but there was a stack of concrete ties in the yard.

There were a bunch of gondolas, hoppers and a tank car on the yard tracks at 65th street, along with a handful of centerbeams and 3 boxcars on the team tracks.
 #1397514  by Mr.SW1000

So I'm guessing with the hours and days NYNJ Rail crews work, they must need a second job to make ends meet.
 #1399826  by rr503

Quick question
In the NYT article about NYNJ rail from a few years back, there was mention of a customer receiving potatoes. Is this outfit still a customer?
Thanks
 #1399922  by rr503

Railroad construction company is doing trackwork in 51st street yard today. I walked by and they were replacing switch ties at the very north end of the yard.
Edit: south end too.
 #1401282  by DogBert

Went by NYNJ's brooklyn side today. 65th st. was around half full. One or two lines of mixed freight and a long line of gershow loads (in CEFX gons) waiting to leave town. 5101 was in the fenced in pen while the old SW looked stored by the lumber transload on the north side of the yard (which had 4 cars and seemed a lot more busy than I've ever seen it).

There were empty boxes & loaded southern hoppers at the interchange - I'm assuming loads from EWR glass. There was also a long string of CEFX empty gons at the interchange, and the old open GERX hoppers at at 51st street.