Railroad Forums 

• NYAR Train Sighting Thread

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#4879  by Lupo 10

Joe, I heard West Island has a waiting list (not sure if that's true).

#4909  by emfinite

They didn't have the waiting list back in November when I visited the open house... But things could have very well changed.

Joe
 #4915  by John 61

Saw the RS-30 running around it's 3 cars today in Northport (Duke Siding) around 12:20pm. Engines were 151 east and 155 west.Image
Last edited by John 61 on Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.

#4926  by emfinite

Just heard on the scanner the RS51 talking to Divide (7:35PM) asking for permission to head west with 17 cars, so I will be making my way down to the tracks tonight with my camera.

Joe

#4955  by BMT

emfinite: nice scale models! I suspect you're modelling a portion of the line out East because if you were depicting the Bushwick or Bay Ridge branches you'd have to add several hundred HO scale tires and junked cars to the ROW!
:D

#5000  by emfinite

BMT,

Once summer comes I'll concentrate more on my layout, but right now I haven't touched it in a year or so and I have not had time for it at all. Hopefully I can get a little bit more space in my basement. The layout is currently 8x8ft-not really much I can do with that.

Anyway, I went down to Deer Park tonight with my brother and caught the 51 in its "last slot" which was about 9:35PM. My bro snapped some shots while I took the video:

Took him a helluva long time to move it out of the siding and over the crossing at Deer Park.

Joe

#5003  by John 61

Joe,

Once summer comes you might even be able to catch the 51 in daylight

John

#5040  by JoeLIRR

John,
With the added security I dont think any of us will be getting away with railfanning much longer. well be snapping shots then be given a free ride in the back of a police car to booking lol. (since atleast 911 rail fans are considered terrorists by the GOVT). THAT SUCKS FOR ALL
 #5075  by BMT

Forgot to mention earlier that I saw freight yesterday heading toward Jamaica from LIC/Fresh Pond as I was on a J train passing over the ROW at Jamaica Ave. & 111th St. The lead engines were too far south for me to take down #s. The time was around mid-day.

#5465  by emfinite

3/23 - 9:55pm - RS51 west through Farmingdale 270/271 leading a mixed bag of 25 cars

#5672  by JMBethpage

3/24 at Hicksville Divide
4:38 W/B 151/155 with 1 gray gondola, 3 oilcars, 1 boxcar on KO branch

3/23 5:22 W/B, the 155 all by itself, so when did the 155 go back east?

#5700  by emfinite

I was on the platform when it went through (railfanning with a friend). 155 and 151 were both cab forward. I stuck around for about 45 minutes after that, so JM, you may have seen me walking down the west end of platform B w/ camera in hand.

3/24 - 9:50pm - 270/271 w/b thru Farmingdale with 15-20 cars

Joe

#6101  by JMBethpage

sorry emf, from where I sit I can't see the Hicksville platform, my office is too far east.

3/25 at Divide:
10:15 E/B Pt.Jeff line 151/155 with 1 empty centerbeam and 6 boxcars
1:50 W/B Pt.Jeff line 151/155 with 2 empty centerbeams and 5 boxcars

#6265  by DogBert

The bay ridge train at 65th street. maybe 10pm... lots of cars down there, is CP's little transload facility generating good traffic?

#6274  by Knife-Switch

Dogbert -
That wasn't you flashing tin in the ROW????

And its the Mighty RS-100, not the Bay Ridge Train

65th St Yard is utilized for customer storage on at least 4 tracks.

NYCH now leaves their inbounds down there as well since they float so infrequently that the actual interchange tracks fill up quickly with their outbound.

CP team itself is used by Tri-State Brick and they can't unload product quick enough.

If you are not 5-0 Dogbert, I suggest you exercise a little caution if you wander down there. NYPD K-9 has a kennel nearby and often uses the yard to conduct training. We have had run ins with plain clothes boarding our equipment to look around and being confronted by unhappy trainmen...and there have also been an increasing number of skells wandering around down there shooting up, tagging cars and making all sorts of mischief

God Save the RS-100