Railroad Forums 

• Hicksville operations

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#340799  by Spartan Phalanx

Passing by the week before Christmas I saw a pair of GP38-2's switching the east spur in the yard, the one with red caboose spotted at the end by the bumper. There was a cut of tankcars on there, and flatcars coupled to the Geeps. There were also the usual former CP Rail gondolas on the two side-by-side spurs getting loaded with scrap metal? or contaminated soil, still?

#340935  by pennsy

Hi All,

I seem to remember Reefers at the Hicksville yard some time ago. Any still there ? What were they there for in the first place ?

#341616  by Spartan Phalanx

Two tankcars and a covered hopper spotted on the east spur in the yard. Still the usual ex-CP Rail gondolas on the other two spurs. Don't know if anything is spotted on the spur between the yard and the LIRR station, other than a welded rail train. I remember the LIRR spotting cars on that spur, rather than in the yard. Why did'nt the LIRR stash cars in the yard, would'nt they have been somewhat more secure in the yard, rather than by the blue pre-fabricated building next to the spur between the yard and the station?

#341631  by jayrmli

Hicksville Team Yard doesn't belong to LIRR anymore. It's leased to NYAR. Besides I don't think the railroad cares if the coaches are in a secure location. They won't be pressed into revenue service anymore.

Jay

#342147  by Spartan Phalanx

Jay: I was talking about the LIRR stashing freight in the Hicksville Yard, not passenger coaches.

#342645  by jayrmli

LIRR doesn't operate freight anymore, and they don't have access to Hicksville Yard without approval.

Jay

#342793  by Spartan Phalanx

I know that, Jay. I was referring to the pre-NYA LIRR freight operations.

#363632  by Spartan Phalanx

LIRR MP-15ac's 157 and 168 pulled two loaded LIRR gondolas in Hicksville Yard around 5pm. They pulled in on the eastern-most spur in the yard, the one with the red caboose spotted at the end. Anybody know anything about this movement? I thought the LIRR could'nt use the yard anymore?

#363651  by emfinite

LIRR equipment is in and out of that yard all the time. That's probably "Work Train 1" which is on duty 7am Wednesday through Sunday. There are a few grade crossings which are going to be replaced shortly. That may have something to do with the train you saw.

Joe

#373870  by Spartan Phalanx

There was a long cut of covered hoppers on the eastern-most spur of the yard yesterday. There was also the usual long cuts of bathtub gondolas on the center and western-most spurs. On the long spur that parallels the Main Line between the yard and the Hicksville LIRR station, there is a long welded-rail train spotted, and it looks like it's loaded with CWR for the spring trackwork season. No boxcars, tankcars or flatcars spotted in the yard this time, and no motive power seen either. Good to see the yard getting used. That cut of covered hoppers has to be at least ten-twelve cars long. Are they all for the same customer?

#378191  by phantom

New customer, Eastern Fence. Manufacturers of vinyl fence; promises to be very active customer. There was also a lumber flatcar out there this week.

#378659  by Spartan Phalanx

Good work, NYA Marketing Dept., for landing a new customer at Hicksville Yard.

#388255  by Spartan Phalanx

Passed by Hicksville Yard yesterday. The yard is loaded with covered hoppers and gondolas. I couldn't see if there were any boxcars or flatcars loaded with building materials, or any tankcars, because both gates were closed and the view from Crown next door was blocked by the covered hoppers and gondolas.

#392663  by Spartan Phalanx

Will NYA visit Hicksville Yard on Sunday, 04/29? I may be in the area, and I'd love to catch NYA switching all the covered hoppers and gondolas in the yard. Thanks.
 #394023  by SwingMan

Last time I past (which was a couple of weeks back) there was just covered hoppers and bathtub gondolas, but at the end was 2 boxcars and a empty centerbeam! Just what all of you were trying to see! :wink: lirr415