Railroad Forums 

• Marjam in Riverhead

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1393072  by DaveBarraza

I saw an empty spine car at the Marjam Facility on Mill Road in Riverhead a few weeks back. The Marjam name is on one of those new plastic banners that can be printed and installed quickly.

Did they take over that facility from someone else? How many loads are they taking now, "in season"?
 #1394039  by freightguy

That was the old Riverhead Building Supply? Marjam bought Penny lumber in Mattituck/Southold also. I'm pretty sure they take flats for those easterly locations at the Farmingdale siding. Probably easier for those smaller lumber dealers to fall under the banner of a larger wholesaler. Riverhead Building Supply is even in New England(RI) now.
 #1394380  by DaveBarraza

There was a discussion here to exactly that effect: That Marjam had consolidated deliveries to the Farmingdale location. That's one of the reasons I posted... I guess they've changed their plan, at least for the moment. If Mattituck is taking deliveries it would be the first customer out past Riverhead in a while, no?
 #1394398  by rr503

Yeah. The last on the main line was Penny Lumber (I think), and Pulver gas on the mtk. I doubt they will though, NYA charges extra for running past there. I also read that they gave up trackage rights east of Riverhead, but that could be wrong.
 #1435605  by LINYARailfan

Any NYA customers west of Paraco Gas is not endanger of being cut by the management of NYA. If this new Marjam location in Riverhead starts taking cars he would be the only exception cause he is juuuuuuust east of Paraco Gas right before LD block limit.
 #1439459  by Teutobergerwald

Does Marjam's Farmingdale location still receive NYA service? I remember in the past you could see boxcars and flatcars spotted next to the building when passing by on Conklin St., but haven't seen any there in quite some time.
 #1439483  by LINYARailfan

Teutobergerwald wrote:Does Marjam's Farmingdale location still receive NYA service? I remember in the past you could see boxcars and flatcars spotted next to the building when passing by on Conklin St., but haven't seen any there in quite some time.
According to google maps there is one empty centerbeam on the Marjam siding in Farmingdale. I don't know how accurate this is but I have provided a link for your convenience.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marja ... 73.4304128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps
 #1439554  by freightguy

Cars of 70' of more(A frame flats) used to be banned from going in there. They lifted the restriction a long time ago. Haven't went past the siding in a bit. Not too far back there were lumber flats in there.
 #1439626  by jayrmli

Cars of 70' of more(A frame flats) used to be banned from going in there. They lifted the restriction a long time ago. Haven't went past the siding in a bit. Not too far back there were lumber flats in there.
Quite a few sidings had the restriction of cars 70 feet or more in length, but the Marjam was the only one that had an additional restriction of not allowing cabin cars in the siding. I've always wondered about the incident that must have happened back in the LIRR freight days to place that restriction in the Special Instructions.