Railroad Forums 

• New engines for NYA

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1388869  by DogBert

I thought the GMTX/CIT 38s would go back to their leasors first. Will they be sticking around awhile?

Also curious to see what colors 105/106 are being repainted to before return. LIRR changed up their paint for the MP15s over the years - wondering if they will be similar or back to the old blue & white.
 #1388888  by gregorygrice

402 will stay for a while, dont know about 2200. 105 & 106 are in the orange and grey "Dashing Dan" scheme.
 #1389365  by tj48

gregorygrice wrote:
tj48 wrote:From what I have read in this brochure from Progress Rail the PR20B units are equipped with Dynamic Brakes. Where would the NY&A have the need for this?
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10889703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Can be equipped with Extended Range Dynamic
Braking and Self Load capability"

Key word is "Can". Doesnt mean it has it
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d2/6 ... 089776.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From railpictures.net
Although its hard to see it could look like the Dynamic Brake fan is on top of the flared grid opening. Just speculation on my part but if the NY&A didn't need Dynamics why not just plate over that area as the GP38-2s. Unless Progress only basically builds them "one way only, take it or leave it" why would they pay for the fan/flared grid housing? Makes me wonder if 300/301 are "fully loaded" demonstrator units.
 #1394193  by grobtech

Does the LIRR own the first two engines (300 & 301)? I don't ever remember seeing an RFP for the procurement of those units? I'm guessing the 24 new engines the LIRR is looking to get and these engines for NYAR will be the same type of engine...PR20-B.
 #1409991  by mikey cruz

I thought it already did? soo that means it's either going out east on some trips or it's gonna head through MN territory.
 #1410004  by gregorygrice

2200 was the only one that did not have its ows cut because it came in via NYNJ (it was originally leased to them then transfered to NYAR). This now makes all NYAR locomotives capable of running on LIRR.
 #1410099  by DogBert

It has long been a regular on the bushwick & LIC trash jobs, though I didn't know it was never cut...