Railroad Forums 

• Current Roster including Leasers

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1504100  by gregorygrice

grobtech wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:
Teutobergerwald wrote:Are any of the MP-15ac's or GP38-2's away for rebuilding by NS at Altoona, PA ?
155 is still at Altoona. The geeps are not getting rebuilt.
How come NYAR opted for the purchase and overhaul of the E-15's as opposed ti the E-20's?

MP15s are good for yard switching. The geeps along with LIRR's MP15s are all being replaced with Tier 4 locomotives. Once this eventually takes place the MP15s will remain in the yard unless needed.
 #1505535  by tj48

A couple of questions.
Has the NY&A acquired all the MP-15ac's from the LIRR?
Which engines have been sent to Altoona for rebuild?
Does the NY&A plan on acquiring the SW1001's?
Thanks
 #1505545  by gregorygrice

tj48 wrote:A couple of questions.
Thanks
NYA owns all 4 MP15ACs. They only have 1 SW which I'm sure will be given back once the new engines come in unless they change their mind when that time comes years from now. Only 1 engine is currently at Altoona, the others 2 will be sent once that one returns.
 #1505575  by tj48

gregorygrice wrote:
tj48 wrote:A couple of questions.
Thanks
NYA owns all 4 MP15ACs. They only have 1 SW which I'm sure will be given back once the new engines come in unless they change their mind when that time comes years from now. Only 1 engine is currently at Altoona, the others 2 will be sent once that one returns.
Thanks!
 #1505621  by Teutobergerwald

So, which NYA units have been/are at/will be going, to NS at Altoona? Also, I recall some/all the GP38-2's getting sent out for work- regearing & repainting, some time ago. Anybody able to expand on that? Thanks!
 #1505626  by gregorygrice

Teutobergerwald wrote:So, which NYA units have been/are at/will be going, to NS at Altoona? Also, I recall some/all the GP38-2's getting sent out for work- regearing & repainting, some time ago. Anybody able to expand on that? Thanks!
159: rebuilt, completed and already running on the property

155: still at Altoona

151: Not rebuilt, running on property

156: had minor engine rebuild at altoona years ago, but will still be sent out to get the same treatment as the others. Still running on property

The 4 geeps were regeared to freight by P&W shortly after the start of NYA. There is one photo online somewhere of one taking a ride at Old Saybrook. Painting and everything else was done by NYA. They are not going to be rebuilt and will be replaced with the new engine order.
 #1505671  by grobtech

gregorygrice wrote:
Teutobergerwald wrote:So, which NYA units have been/are at/will be going, to NS at Altoona? Also, I recall some/all the GP38-2's getting sent out for work- regearing & repainting, some time ago. Anybody able to expand on that? Thanks!
159: rebuilt, completed and already running on the property

155: still at Altoona

151: Not rebuilt, running on property

156: had minor engine rebuild at altoona years ago, but will still be sent out to get the same treatment as the others. Still running on property

The 4 geeps were regeared to freight by P&W shortly after the start of NYA. There is one photo online somewhere of one taking a ride at Old Saybrook. Painting and everything else was done by NYA. They are not going to be rebuilt and will be replaced with the new engine order.
What is the time frame for the replacement of the Geeps?

What is being done to the E-15's during their overhaul?

Thanks!
 #1505693  by Backshophoss

Since NY&A with LIRR ordered tier IV versions of NY&A 300/301,from Knoxville Locomotive
those units will replace the GP38-2's(E-20) and the remaining LIRR owned MP-15's and SW 1001's.
Not sure on the delivery timeline.
 #1505704  by freightguy

I guess even the blue cards in locomotive cabs say their LIRR engines leased to NYAR 300/301. I think they’re from Progressive Rail(nee EMD) not Knoxville? Knoxville locos are the bain of the Cross Harbor NYNJ. LIRR doesn’t seem keen on six axle power, I would like to see NYA get GP40’s to haul the longer freights and keep a powerful loco for flat grades like Florida East Coast.

Greg Grice,

If I remember correctly the 261/268 went out for rebuild to the P&W Shops around 2004/05. There wasn’t much of a difference when they returned. I’m not sure if that was just a goodwill gesture as a few times allegedly Providence and Worcester offered to buy the NYA from Anacostia and Pacific for the heavy stone traffic.
 #1505720  by gregorygrice

Backshophoss wrote:Since NY&A with LIRR ordered tier IV versions of NY&A 300/301,from Knoxville Locomotive
those units will replace the GP38-2's(E-20) and the remaining LIRR owned MP-15's and SW 1001's.
Not sure on the delivery timeline.

The winner of the RFP wasn't announced yet, so there is no timeline. I'm pretty sure Knoxville isn't one of the bidders.

In response to freightguy, GP40s are out of the question. Whatever is ordered will be brand new Tier 4 compliant engines, similar to the PR24.
 #1506501  by gregorygrice

trainspot wrote:Asking for a roster friend, does the 9321 exist? Was it shipped out , scrapped on site, or sitting awaiting ??
Sitting on the old Heritage Paper track on the Bay Ridge Branch. Giant paperweight.