Railroad Forums 

• My New M&E Page

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1021005  by therudycometh

Hey everyone,

I just created a new page for M&E info on my website.

http://www.rudystrains.com/morristown-erie-railway

The history isn't too in-depth yet, but I'm planning to expand on that. In the meantime, what everyone would probably appreciate is the complete roster of every diesel locomotive that's ever passed through the M&E's hands, including leased RRPX engines. I'm pretty sure this list is complete, but please let me know if I missed something or made a mistake somewhere!!!

The next step is to get or find photos of every locomotive.... I probably have most of them myself, but there might be a few that I'm missing from my collection. Off to my archives!!!!
 #1021123  by blockline4180

Hi Rudy,

Nice page!

Do you have any idea on operations for the remaining customers left on the Whippany line?? It almost seems like M&E interchanges with CSX now to serve all the remaining customers for the Whippany... Is this true??
What days do they head down to the interchange in Kearny??

Thanks
Steve
 #1021364  by RS115

Rudy,

Great job. I believe that one of the displays at the museum in Whippany reports #14 as having been scrapped by LCP. A real shame that both of the engines that worked so hard for so long ended up sold off and scrapped.

Andy
 #1022076  by therudycometh

Made a couple small changes. Confirmed that #14 was scrapped in the mid-1990s.

I realized that I personally have photos of about 3/4 of these engines, so I'll start posting them sometime soon.
 #1022091  by Sid Farkus

Rudy, your page is stunning. Thank you for posting a roster, and you did a fantastic job with it. At some point do you plan on adding the early equipment like the steam engines and railbus, or do you plan on keeping it at the starting point of '67?
 #1023046  by therudycometh

Sid Farkus wrote:Rudy, your page is stunning. Thank you for posting a roster, and you did a fantastic job with it. At some point do you plan on adding the early equipment like the steam engines and railbus, or do you plan on keeping it at the starting point of '67?
I may add the steamers in, as there were only 13 of them! Compared to the diesels, these should be easy - the info on them is available on the M&E Wikipedia page, so I may simply copy it just to complete the roster. The info on the railbus is available at http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net/in ... -bus-no-10, so I'd basically just be copying that too.

I'm also considering adding one more engine to the roster. In the summer of 1974, both the #14 and #15 were down for maintenance, so the M&E leased B&M GP7 #1567. It took forever to get to Morristown, and when the M&E started calling to find out where it was, it was found in Hoboken on an EL work train. It finally did make it to the M&E, and saw service out of Morristown until at least September of that year - there are photos in Bob Pennisi's book.
 #1023053  by Sid Farkus

Rudy, would you happen to have any information on the Panther Valley? Their GE's were frequently at the Morristown facility in the '80s. Would you also happen to know about the BAR F3 they had stored on their property? That became one of the CNJ F3s that was for years in Jim Thorpe and recently restored to DLW heritage. I think the ME has a history of working on engines that were owned by historical organizations. I know they had former NJT 7000 at some point that was restored to PRR.
 #1023089  by therudycometh

I know they had that Panther Valley O&W GE for a while - It was painted and test run on the M&E before being sent back to PV. I have photos and other documentation of that. I've been thinking about adding this too, as well as the two faux LV (ex-CNW) F7's that were used for a while on the trains in Whippany and are now on the Cape May Seashore Lines.

Both BAR F3's were actually stored at the M&E when they first came down from Maine in the 1980s, before they got shipped to Conrail's Reading, PA shops for work (it was leased to the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society so they could put a new engine block in their engine). They were/are owned by Tri-State (BAR 46, CNJ 56, DLW 663) and the ARHS (BAR 44, CNJ 57, DLW 664). I have a lot of info on those engines, since I've actually worked on both of them (I'm an ARHS volunteer). However, as they never actually ran on M&E property, I'm not going to include them in the roster.

I don't know anything about the PRR 7000 being anywhere near the M&E.....
 #1023091  by Sid Farkus

Rudy, here's a link of the 7000 being stored at the shops in what appears to be right after its retirement from NJT, and before heading down to Ringoes for restoration. http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1098349

Also, it appears ME did work on multiple units for Panther Valley. Did they have a contract with them at some point? http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=63597
 #1023277  by therudycometh

Sid Farkus wrote:Rudy, here's a link of the 7000 being stored at the shops in what appears to be right after its retirement from NJT, and before heading down to Ringoes for restoration. http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1098349

Also, it appears ME did work on multiple units for Panther Valley. Did they have a contract with them at some point? http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=63597
I don't think the 7000 ever ran on the M&E - I'm trying to keep my roster to engines that the M&E actually used for something, either for parts or for operations. Nor did that other LVAL GE in that photo.

I've added to my roster:

B&M GP7 #1567 (leased summer/fall of 1974 while #14 and #15 were down for maintenance)
LVAL/O&W U30B #901 (painted April 1985 in Morristown and used spring/summer of 1985 as test runs)
LV F7's #576 and #578 (used from about 1995 to 2003 on M&E-operated Whippany Railway Museum trains)
 #1023304  by Sid Farkus

Rudy, do you have photos of those engines on the ME? I've seen the F7s, but not the others. Also, I think the museum also operated the E8s (834 and 835) around the same time as the F7s. You're roster is really shaping up nicely. I really like the older photos and hope to see more. Thanks for putting this all together.
 #1023868  by therudycometh

Sid Farkus wrote:Rudy, do you have photos of those engines on the ME? I've seen the F7s, but not the others. Also, I think the museum also operated the E8s (834 and 835) around the same time as the F7s. You're roster is really shaping up nicely. I really like the older photos and hope to see more. Thanks for putting this all together.
Bob Pennisi's book has photos of both the B&M 1567 and O&W 901 running trains on the Whippany Line. My dad has photos of the LV F7's and O&W 901 all running on the M&E, and the BAR F3's stored there (but never operating).

I think you're right about the E8's, as well as that U34CH that was stored there for a while. I'm already looking into those - a friend told me about them.
 #1024015  by Sid Farkus

Thanks Rudy for the info, would there be any chance of you posting your dad's photos on your site?

Regarding the URHS equipment, I know EL 3372 was stored on the ME, but don't know if they ran it during its storage time. Same could be said for CNJ 1524.
 #1024431  by therudycometh

Sid Farkus wrote:Thanks Rudy for the info, would there be any chance of you posting your dad's photos on your site?

Regarding the URHS equipment, I know EL 3372 was stored on the ME, but don't know if they ran it during its storage time. Same could be said for CNJ 1524.
I have some of my dad's photos up already, but I'm working on scanning more. I just found the pictures of O&W 901.

Looks like the EL 3372 and the CNJ 1524 never ran on the M&E, from what I can tell.

I did just add the ERIE NW2 #413 that was leased after the 1960 enginehouse fire. And I might add NS GP40-2 #3010, which has been borrowed a couple times.