Railroad Forums 

• Article today about M&E and bricks

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#747347  by james1787

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/1 ... ove_r.html

M&E was in the news today, not sure what this is all about. It sounds like they are being told to remove some brick storage in Roxbury.
I'm a little confused as to why M&E would be storing bricks for a customer, but it sounds like they do the shipping of them. I guess some NIMBY's raised the issue?
 #747633  by SemperFidelis

I know people here like to blame NIMBYs (also known as people) for everything that happens to railroads that we don't like but it states quite clearly in the article that it was the Town of Roxbury that raised the complaint:

"However, Roxbury officials balked about the arrangement. They said the depot had turned into a major, long-term storage area for Tri-State’s bricks, violating M&E’s lease of the county property, which does not allow for permanent storage."

It would appear the railroad violated thier terms. NIMBYs had nothing to do with it.