Railroad Forums 

• Official Maine Eastern Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1201088  by therudycometh

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Does anyone know (Rudy etc.) if the ME 1748 is still in Rockland?

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=124252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, it's still there.
 #1201477  by eastwind

therudycometh wrote:Our trains cannot be in the Brunswick station platform 45 minutes before or after the Downeaster's scheduled arrival and departure times.
Is it a safety issue, an operating issue, an FRA rule, or what?
Having seen, for example, Amtrak and Metro-North trains of different lines occupying the same platform, one after another, at less than three-minute intervals, I'm having a hard time understanding what the difference is at Brunswick. I can see maybe a 10-minute separation between carriers, for dispatching reasons, but 45 seems long.
 #1201810  by therudycometh

eastwind wrote:
therudycometh wrote:Our trains cannot be in the Brunswick station platform 45 minutes before or after the Downeaster's scheduled arrival and departure times.
Having seen, for example, Amtrak and Metro-North trains of different lines occupying the same platform, one after another, at less than three-minute intervals, I'm having a hard time understanding what the difference is at Brunswick. I can see maybe a 10-minute separation between carriers, for dispatching reasons, but 45 seems long.
I'm not sure what the reasoning was/is.
 #1202094  by eastwind

therudycometh wrote:
eastwind wrote:
I'm not sure what the reasoning was/is.
You're the "man in the know" here, so if you don't know.... *sigh* One of life's little mysteries, I guess. I'm sure it made sense to somebody, even if it seems to us outsiders that it gums up the idea of smooth passenger connections. Oh well, thanks anyway, Rudy; your input is always appreciated.

--eastwind
 #1206104  by abesier

David Peter Alan has a detailed report on the Maine Eastern in this week's Destination: Freedom newsletter on the National Corridor Initiative website. Alan rode the line's first revenue run June 26th and comments on its flavor and potential. He also alludes to talk of running a ferry between Rockland and Bar Harbor which could make the ME an essential link in any revived rail/sail service between down east Maine and points south.

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df3/df ... html#Going" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1206152  by kilroy

Nice ink in the article for our very own Rudy. Keep up the good work man, someday ypu'll be running the whole show!
 #1206249  by therudycometh

kilroy wrote:Nice ink in the article for our very own Rudy. Keep up the good work man, someday you'll be running the whole show!
He gives me FAR too much credit in that article. There are a whole team of people working both alongside and above me to make this railroad successful (and an enjoyable place to work!). Mr. Alan just happened to interview me on board the train for his information for this article - I suppose in what became a two-hour long interview, he got the impression that I'm some kind of "mastermind." Trust me, guys, I'm just one person in a group of people that are absolutely integral to the railroad's operations and future, and the "mastermind" is the collective "mind" that the group creates when we put our heads together. I'm only one piece of the puzzle.
 #1209976  by therudycometh

Ride the Maine Eastern Railroad! Check out our new marketing video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH8PRgQRYLE
 #1209982  by MEC407

Very nice! :-D
 #1210983  by abesier

Great video, Rudy. Rode the train yesterday and have to say, what you see is what you get when you ride this friendliest of railroads. Magnificent scenery, clean, comfortable seating, courteous crew. Imagine seeing the sights at 45 mph along a branch the Maine Central embargoed, then junked in 1987. Truly, the way life should be. To top it off, 489 ran like a charm and we arrived back in Brunswick on time.
 #1211314  by kilroy

Nice video Rudy but you didn't get Red's Eats in Wiscasset. Best lobster roll in Maine and the burgers are goos too.
Last edited by kilroy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1211498  by MEC407

From the Bangor Daily News:
Bangor Daily News wrote:A Pittston man was sentenced Tuesday in U.S. District Court to three years of probation for theft of government funds.

Gerald E. Bailey, 69, admitted in April that he was paid by one railroad while receiving retirement money from another. That is illegal under the Railroad Retirement Act.
. . .
The retired worker used another person’s name and Social Security number when he worked for Maine Eastern Railroad, owned by the Morristown & Erie Railway, from Sept. 27, 2007, to Nov. 15, 2010, according to court documents. During that time, he earned $60,000. He also received more than $83,000 in pension funds.

The former head of the Morristown, N.J.-based freight railway company and another employee were indicted last year in New Jersey for defrauding the state out of more than $800,000 in grants, according to the news site http://www.nj.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Gordon Fuller, 71, of Plainfield, N.J., and Willard Phillips, 60, of Langhorne, Pa., a former project manager, were indicted on charges of conspiracy, misconduct by a corporate official, theft by deception, submitting false contract payments claims and tampering with public records.

Over the course of eight years, the two men allegedly received more than $800,000 in reimbursement grants but did just $53,000 worth of work, according to a April 11, 2012, story posted at http://www.nj.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Read more at: http://bangordailynews.com/2013/09/03/n ... r-railway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1219840  by therudycometh

We're making a lot of exciting changes for next year - I can't say anything until the schedule and plans are finalized (towards the end of this month), but suffice it to say that the MERR passenger service is coming back with a BANG in 2014!