Railroad Forums 

• Official Maine Eastern Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#31632  by caboose

I imagine they had a contract of some sort,how did Safe Handling lose it? Was Maine DOT fed up with them or did the contract expire?

#31641  by MEC407

It was a short-term contract. When Maine Coast decided to call it quits, MaineDOT put out the request for an interim operator until a long-term operator could be found. Safe Handling bid on the interim operator contract and won it. I assume they were welcome to bid on the long-term operator contract as well, but I'm not sure if they did or not. At any rate, several companies bid on it and M&E was the winner.
 #33121  by MEC407

Check this out:

http://www.lobsterfestivaltrain.com/

According to the site, they will be running with ex-Acadian Railway cars (those should be pretty darn nice) as well as an ex-BCRail diner car and an ex-Amtrak Heritage car, all powered by a pair of F40s. Can't wait to see it!

#33208  by caboose

Does anyone know how much M&E bid? Who were other companies that bid?(besides M&E and SHR)

#33264  by Alcoman

I know that Maine Eastern has the following locomotives in Maine: C424 # 4228, 2 M420's, and 2 F40's. I understand that the F40's are apinted for the "Lobster Train" Has anyone see this equipment and photographed it?

Any suggestions on best places to photograph ?

Where is this equipment kept? I am going up there in August.

#33265  by Alcoman

Are the F-40's painted in a new scheme?

#33336  by MEC407

I don't think the C424 and the F40s have arrived in Maine yet. I live in Maine, and I probably would have seen them or heard about them. But I could be wrong. ;)
 #33341  by Sandy Burton

4228 is enroute and I would expect it to arrive next week, but you never know what a Class I will do with a short line's locomotive.

The two F-40s are still in the paint shop in Morristown.

Sandy

#33342  by Sandy Burton

John, Painting is under way into a new scheme.

Sandy
 #33725  by bwparker1

Caboose, you really taxed my web skills, but I was able to dig this post up from a the NERails list off Yahoo. Message was dates in May 2003

Brooks

MDOT announced today it has chosen Finger Lakes Railway, Morristown & Erie and Cayuga Railway Company as finalists is the bidding process for the Rockland Branch and Lower Road operator. Other bidders included current operator Safe Handling Rail, Robert Ames & Co. and Cascade Transportation and C&J Railroad.
 #34619  by MEC407

It has been reported on another group that the Morristown & Erie has two passenger locomotives and two passenger coaches in transit to the Maine Eastern.

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 14:46
Subject: [NERails] Maine East Heads Up!

>
>
> M&E is to be interchanging their 2 F40's for the Maine Eastern tomorrow
> for an NS routing via Allentown, PA North to the Maine East. They also
> have 2 coaches, unsure of which ones, also heading to Maine but via an
> Amtrak routing delivered to NJT's Meadowlands Maintenance Complex
yesterday
> by the M&E. Exact routing of these coaches unsure of at the moment.
>
> dano in jersey.

#34720  by njt4172

Yes, I am pretty sure the 2 F40's they purchased from Amtrak are going to Maine....One is already repainted!

Steve

#34868  by Ken W2KB

Lettered for the M&E? e.g., Maine & Eastern :wink:
 #35153  by Pull Man

A photo of the 1st outshopped F-40 is posted on the New England Railfan Forum...