Railroad Forums 

• Loss of Bayway

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1436179  by brwfan

Just read in the H02 thread that m&e lost the Bayway contract to watco. Anyone know when this operation will change hands? Been a bad year for m&e. I believe that leaves just the Whippany line. Hope that's enough for them to stay afloat.
 #1436204  by therudycometh

Changeover in Bayway is September 5th.

Yes, that leaves just the Whippany Line. They'll continue their mechanical/passenger car rebuilding operations at the Morristown shop, and servicing the three customers on the Whippany line, along with the Polar Express operations and whatever else they can drum up.

I've been in touch with a lot of the guys over there in the past day or so.... they're looking to cut down to only about a dozen staff members, from a current staff of about 40+. Ten of them have already been furloughed/laid off in the past week or so, and there will be more to come as the summer progresses. Administration is being extremely supportive of anyone that wants to leave of their own accord - these are all guys that have families, children, wives, etc., and the M&E management would much rather see them leave because they have another job offer to step into rather than lay them off and leave them with an uncertain future. Some may end up landing at the new Dover & Rockaway River Railroad, which has expressed interest in hiring M&E operating personnel.

Most of the M&E staff is going through a very difficult and uncertain time right now. I would recommend that, while the urge to capture the M&E's final operations in various locations may be strong, it would be most respectful for railfans to keep their distance and respect the fact that everyone at that railroad is dealing with the fact that their own and their coworkers' livelihoods are at stake. Cameras pointed at them will not be helpful....

Also, a friendly reminder that you should never take any photos of M&E operations in Bayway or the Bayway plant in general, even taken from public property, as it is a federally protected facility. There ARE guards/police, and you WILL be arrested before you can roll your car window back up - trust me, I've watched it happen.
 #1436419  by ccutler

Rudy thanks for the thoughtful update. They really had 40+ employees on such a low volume? I wish them the best.