Railroad Forums 

• LA&L RS36 418 roof pictures??

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#601181  by FL9AC

Anyone out there have a really good roof shot of the 418? I've looked on Railpictures.net, RRpicturearchives.net, NERAIL, and other photo sites and can't get a good downwards roof shot of the 418. I'm currently building a model of it, and can't get the antenna/horn location from the pictures I have. Any help is much apprecated!!

-Brent
 #601213  by scottychaos

Brent,
one interesting thing about the LAL..
there are NO regular, public roads that pass over it! ;)

I am aware of only three places where one could get a "top down" shot of any LAL locomotives.
one is a rail trail bridge that passes over the top of it..(the former LV mainline, now a trail..somewhat obscure, and I have never actually seen a photo taken from that bridge...you would have to walk or bike down the trail while a LAL train happens to be coming..)

and the others are interstate highways that pass over it..where one cant legally pull over to take pictures..

as a result, there are virtually no top views of LAL locomotives! :(
someone *might* actually have one of 418..
but sadly, the odds are slim..

(someone might have a shot from its ONCT days perhaps..)

hey Rochester railfans..lets get out to that LV bridge and take some pics! :P
418 has been out on the road a lot lately..

Scot
 #601239  by FL9AC

That's what I seem to remember about that area when I went to college up there a few years ago. It was very hard to get good shots down on the equipment...anywhere. I really need a shot of where the firecracker antenna and the horn are mounted now on the unit. Anyone with a picture of this I would REALLY appreciate the help :-) . Thanks in advance.
 #601626  by FL9AC

Looking for a good roof shot for proper horn placement as well as the firecracker antenna on the cab roof. I also need a good roof shot so I can get the correct horn for the unit. Thanks in advance if you can help me Mr. Brefo.
 #620804  by FL9AC

Thanks a ton Mr. Brefo! There was no rush with the model, but I greatly appreciate you taking the time to look for the photo. I'll post a few pictures when the model is finally done :wink: .
 #869201  by FL9AC

Hey all, I finally found the time to build and finish my HO-scale model of the 418...Lemme know what you think ;). I'm thinking about selling it to fund another project so PM me if interested...enjoy!

#871779  by BR&P

Much better than I could do! Missing the catch tank behind the right side MR, missing the exhaust stack extension, and MU walkways need tweaking, but still very nice. What are you asking for it?