Railroad Forums 

• LA&L, WNYP, B&H Diesel Status

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#435268  by sallenparks

Luther their close siting in Gangmills I just have a problem though B&H road power gone yesterday but they did not pick them up.4264 outside the shop fired up for a bit 4223 in shop with 73 4&5 outside along side the shop.Lakeville happy to find 418 outside 432&550&20 inside 433 in the road power shute.

hi

#435275  by thebigham

Thanks, Luther.

#435653  by scottychaos

#3664-from NYSW

#3666-from NYSW

#3668-from NYSW

Arrived in Cohocton today, (Saturday 8/18)
I just photographed them (in Cohocton) about an hour ago..
pics coming soon.

They were supposed to be picked up yesterday, (Friday).
I sat in Painted Post for an hour about 3-4 pm yesterday, chatting with Richard Perry, who was also waiting for them.
Richard got pics of them through Painted Post this afternoon.

Scot

#435973  by scottychaos

Pictures! :P

I drove down to Waverly on Friday to visit my parents, and to attend a steamup on Saturday. (G-gauge live steam locomotives)

On the way down, I stopped by Cohocton..it was about 2pm on Friday..I was hoping the three Cartier units might be back in town! they had been spotted in Elmira and in Gang Mills the last few days..but they werent in Cohocton yet..but I noticed the two road units werent in Cohocton either!
which means they must be...picking up the Cartier units TODAY! :P

A few pics around Cohocton on Friday:

WNYP 4264, recently arrived, is fired-up and being worked on.
she was doing runs up and down the track Friday and Saturday.

RRPX 4223, being leased by LAL, peeks out the East end of the shop.

WNYP 631, until recently SIXX 73, still carrying the number 73 in her numberboards, peeks out the West end of the shop.

Alll these new locomotives arriving in Cohocton means room is needed in the shop, which means B&H #5 is finally seen outdoors! :P for the first time (seen by me) in several years. #4 and #5 are together again!
(for a few years, #5 has been stored inside the shop, while #4 has been sitting outside)

Only those Five locos were in Cohocton on Friday..the two road units,
B&H 422 and LAL 423, were out on the road down to Painted Post..waiting to pick up their train from NS, and hopefully picking up three Cartier units!
returning to Cohocton for the first time in several years.

So I head down the line to Painted Post, drive by the Dresser Rand plant, and there are 422 and 423 sitting down behind the fence! Its about 3pm now.. the NS train hasnt arrived yet..so I park the car and sit down on a bench to wait..
another local railfan, Richard Perry, who I know from "on line" but have never met in person, stops over and we sit and talk railroading for an hour or so! :P (nice to meet you Richard!)
around 4pm, there is still no sign of NS, so I have to reluctantly leave..I was hoping to catch the Cartier units heading through Painted Post! alas..not today...I drove over past Gang Mills, and they were just sitting there:

I assumed the Cartier units would move to Cohocton sometime later Friday afternoon.

Now its Saturday, I head over to Newark Valley for the annual "Steam in the Garden" steamup! Live steamers from all over the East! :P

I leave about 4pm and head home to rochester..normally I would head north and go home via Ithaca and Geneva, but since I knew the Cartier units should now be in Cohocton, I decide to take route 17 home.

Arriving in Cohocton Saturday afternoon, the Cartier units have arrived! :P

I thought they arrived Friday..I later found out they arrived Saturday!
not sure what happened on Friday..Richard caught them moving through Painted Post about 11:30 AM on saturday:
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1187480174

I was in Cohocton about 5pm Saturday:

the three Cartier units are former NYSW 3664, 3666, and 3668,
all three are M636 units. No official word yet which of the other five units are coming to the LAL..or if these units are going to be renumbured or repainted. Right now, the three units are owned by "ALCO-C" and are being leased to the LAL-WNYP.

422 and 423 are back as well..making TEN total Alcos in Cohocton this evening! :P

back on the road..swing by Lakeville to see if anything interesting is going on..418 is sitting outside in beautiful light! :P

I got permission from the friendly LAL folks at both Cohocton and Lakeville to take all these pics..thanks! :P

thats it for the weekend's tour! lots of great things going on! :P

thanks,
Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#436099  by Mike Walsh

good pics, scot! I hope you enjoyed your steamup more, though ;) After all, you can't beat live steam anytime

#436150  by railwatcher

Great job catching those shots, Scot. You even got the elusive #418, I am hoping to see that in action soon. Looks like they are hustling to get things ready to work. And, thanks for the PM and I am taking your advice.

Greg

#436231  by NS59

I know at Lakeville you just stop in and sign a release, but how did you get permission at Cohocton to photogragh. Just wondering as I was hoping to head that way next week if the weather was good.

#436358  by railwatcher

Former NYSW 3000 lives on in New Black and yellow as WNYP #430. Hmmm. Yellow and Black then to Black and Yellow, it's a reverse "yellow jacket!" :P

Greg

#436468  by Luther Brefo

NS59 wrote:I know at Lakeville you just stop in and sign a release, but how did you get permission at Cohocton to photogragh. Just wondering as I was hoping to head that way next week if the weather was good.
After parking in the small parking lot, you can walk up to the office and sign a release at Cohocton. The office is the GE Modular Building to the side of the shops/engine terminal.

wow

#436936  by thebigham

WOW!!

Thanks, Scott, for all the pictures!!!

Chris
 #437195  by Jfrmr1

hey guys, great site, just joined. any info y'all want as far as the jamestown and corry area are concerned, and the new olean line, i am a former dispatcher of the wnyp, ns trackman, and current loram mow employee. i know most of what goes on down this way, happy to contribute

#437251  by pablo

If you're a former DS of the WNYP, then you wouldn't know much about the Buffalo line.

Dave Becker
 #437394  by Jfrmr1

actually, mr. becker, I DO!!! maybe even more so than you...