Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned ERIE bits and the LAL

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#569804  by Lehighton_Man

I note in that article about the Avon-Caledonia line.. what line particulary is that? also, If funds seem to arise, wouldnt it be reasonable for LA&L to rebuild the someodd miles between wayland and Livonia, or would that be a massive undertaking?
Just Curious.
Thanks.
Sean
EDIT:
Once when i was driving out to Caledonia Schools with my mother(she is a picture salesperson) i recall seeing a massive stone arch bridge.. is this reminant of the Avon to Caledonia extention? it was just out of Avon, going over the road, then over some sort of water feature.. not sure..
Thanks.
 #570237  by apratt

I think you're referring to the 5 Arch Bridge, but it is along Route 39 south of Avon. The only way you would pass it on the way to Caledonia is if you started south of Avon.

It was built by the Genesee Valley Railroad in the mid-1850's.

Here's a picture of it:
5 Arch Bridge
 #570487  by Lehighton_Man

Thats the one Apratt! thanks for sharing it. I saw it was in close proximity to the LA&Ls track there in Avon.
Thanks
Sean
 #570950  by apratt

Glad to help Sean. Here's a little more information in response to your post. The LA&L is about a half mile or so to the east of the 5 Arch Bridge. The Erie's line from Avon to Caledonia was north of Route 5. It started at a wye out of the Avon yard a little north of the station and headed west to Caledonia. There is still a bridge over the Genesee River that can be seen from Route 5 at various times of the year. I drove by there this afternoon and could just glimpse it through the trees. The wye and ROW is clearly visible on the satellite photos at various map sites. Unfortunately Live Maps does not have aerial views of Avon.
 #572762  by Otto Vondrak

Here's a map of the Erie Railroad, Sean.

http://erielackhs.org/Erie/Images/maps/ ... -Large.gif

You'll see many of the branches discussed.

The arch bridge is a remnant of the Mount Morris Branch, which was once electrified.

-otto-
 #572802  by TB Diamond

FYI:

The location of the stone arch bridge is called Ashantee. This was on the Erie Railroad electrified line (1907-1934) Mt. Morris-Rochester via Avon.
 #573099  by apratt

A quick note, the map Otto linked to does not show the Mt. Morris branch. The map is from 1943 and the Mt. Morris branch was abandoned in 1940.
 #573454  by avonrailfan62

From my personal viewing the former Erie RR Livonia to Wayland ROW, it has generally either disappeared and/or been privately developed thus making it virtually impossible to re-open this long abandoned line. My next question would be why would the LA&L want access to their own B&H line at Wayland with virtually no revenue from there back to Livonia and actually to the Lakeville area? In a fantasy world it would make much more financial sense for the LA&L to have ownership of the former Erie RR Avon to Caledonia (P&L Jct.) line to connect with the G&W (R&S) west of the Village of Caledonia. It's my understanding that immediately following the Conrail takeover in '76, the LA&L made a serious bid to purchase the former EL line from Avon to Caledonia, but that CR never considered the offer and I remember CR soon after and rapidly tearing up this branch line. As a side note I also remember that the EL had laid fresh ballast from Avon to Caledonia (possibly much farther west along this line) just prior to the CR takeover likely making it even more desirable to the LA&L.
 #573764  by railwatcher

As always, Scotty comes up with a well descripted map including what was and what still is used.

Only 6/10 mile are inservice of the Mt Morris line, in Avon, south of Main St. Now it's known as the Avon Industrial line and it goes to Kraft as well as services King Cole.
Greg
 #575346  by railwatcher

Otto Vondrak wrote:Is the Barilla plant in the middle of the old Avon wye?

Otto, In the middle of the former Wye, is Aldon Manufacturing, with no rail usage (what a shame).

Greg
 #575688  by scottychaos

Are all three "legs" of the Avon wye still in place?

Obviously the mainline to Rochester (east side of the wye) is in place,
and a small segment of the line to Caledonia is in place (west side of the wye)
but what about the northern section of the wye? connecting the two lines...is it still there? or gone?

If its gone...why?
would be a handy place for the LAL to turn engines.

I think its probably gone, because I do remember a discussion on this forum about the LAL having to go all the way up to the R&S if they want to turn an engine around..I know turning diesels isnt a major concern, but sometimes it needs to happen, for various reasons.

thanks,
Scot