Railroad Forums 

• NEW CMO for WNY&P, LA&L,B&H-Good News!

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#558551  by Alcoman

I recently sent an e-mail to Brian Allen who was(former) CMO of the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic regarding the former D&H RS-3 who told me he is now CMO of the WNY&P-LA&L and B&H (In that order) This was great news as he had had many years experience working on ALCO locomotives. When he first started with CVSR; the first thing he did was stored the lines EMD switcher (underpowered anyway) and replace them with RS-3's and later FPA-4's.
The Alcos on the WNY&P as well as the other lines will once again be in great hands. We should all wish him well with his new job.

BTW: the RS-3 # 4099 is being placed back in service. (Not for sale)
 #558558  by RS-3

This is good news. The CVSR's Alco record is top notch.

My congratulations to both the LAL/WNYP/BH and Mr Allen. It looks like a win-win to me.

(Good to hear the 4099 will return to service.)

RS
 #558837  by BR&P

I don't know Mr. Allen but wish him well in his new position.

As for CVSR's Alco record being "top notch", aren't they the folks who started up RS3 4056 at very cold temperature, ruining the crank and leading to the loco being scrapped?
 #558889  by BR&P

I was not implying that Mr. Allen was responsible for the incident, merely taking issue that the record of the railroad as a whole was "top notch". The 4056 deal I'm sure of - it almost seems there was a second ALCO damaged in a similar way there but I could be mistaken on that part. Anybody have the particulars?
 #558918  by RS-3

Granted, the "early years" were quite different. They purchased two of the NYSW RS-3s from Rome Locomotive and then ended up scrapping them both (along with the 4056). One was even runnable. (Its my understanding the NPS wanted the equipment moved.) When I refered to to past record I should have clarified that the "recent" history was the last 10-15 years).

RS
 #558977  by railwatcher

RS-3 wrote:Granted, the "early years" were quite different. They purchased two of the NYSW RS-3s from Rome Locomotive and then ended up scrapping them both (along with the 4056). One was even runnable. (Its my understanding the NPS wanted the equipment moved.) When I refered to to past record I should have clarified that the "recent" history was the last 10-15 years).

RS
If history shows us, NYSW, has a poor record for ALCO maintaining and repairs, remember the Cartier ALCO's conditions. So, they probably didn't have much to work with when they got those RS 3's. I say that Mr. Allen should be given the proper respect of the trade, as deserved. He has big shoes to fill, and a full plate, make that over full, so he does not need to hear static from us in the cheap seats.

Greg
 #559206  by RS-3

We all hope, but he's only one man. He's got a lot on his plate right off the bat. A shop to get erected, stocked and staffed. Give the guy some time. Plus there's the 31st to see how things fall out there. But I'd think getting rid of those lease payments is a high priority.

RS
 #559309  by pablo

Man, we need to make a list of things that Sean can help with after chiming in on.

Several locomotive restoration projects, now the WNYP centuries, this kid's going to be getting around!

Dave Becker