Railroad Forums 

• CSX/LAL bridge over the Genesee

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#529017  by apratt

In one of the other threads there was discussion over where exactly the LAL ends. If it officially ends at the entrance to Genesee Junction yard, then what is the ownership/maintenance agreement on the bridge? Is it joint ownership? Does the LAL lease the trackage from CSX? Or is it one of those odd deals where the LAL owns its tracks but not the ROW they sit on?

Whatever the answer is, I can't imagine that Conrail did anything to LAL's benefit when they sold them the line.

#529562  by Luther Brefo

I'd imagine, CSX is responsible for maintaining the bridge seeing as they run more tonnage over it than the LA&L does by the sheer fact that they run more trains and longer trains at that than, the LA&L. Perhaps LA&L ownership ends prior to the bridge. I'll see what I can dig up.

#529589  by Otto Vondrak

As an aside, Conrail71 has posted a lo-quality cell-phone video of LAL crossing the bridge. The image isn't that great, but enjoy the horns echoing off the surroundings.

http://conrail71.blogspot.com/

-otto-

#529819  by railwatcher

I agree with the great sound quality #420's horns are much stronger and deeper than that of #425 on the southbound run. #425's horns almost sound enemic.

#529860  by Tadman

Sorry, I can't let this one go by without a chuckle...

"#425's horns almost sound enemic"

Isn't enemic describing something having the qualities of an enema? As opposed to anemic, or having the qualities of an anemia? What does an enema sound like?

</beavisandbutthead>

#529865  by railwatcher

Yes, and my blunder, LMAO. please reread as anemic. Enemic might apply if the engine was loosing power under Tadman description. Thanks Tadman!

Lesson for today:

Anemia or anæmia/anaemia , from the Greek ( Ἀναιμία ) (an-haîma) 1. meaning "without blood", is a deficiency of red blood cells (RBCs) or hemoglobin, 2. #425's horn strength....

Enemia or Enemic : common Medical Mispelling for the above.

CLASS Dismissed!

Greg

#529869  by Luther Brefo

420 and 425 have the same exact horns. The difference in sound can be attributed to several things including volume of air actually getting to the bells, dust in the bells, the operator's mood, wind movements, and doppler to name a few...

#530024  by erie2521

At the annual LA&L stockholders meeting the year of the LA&L's aquisition of the line north of Avon, we were told that the bridge was owned by CSX but I don't remember whether the LA&L had trackage rights or some other arrangement. The reason given for CSX's sole ownership was that with a dual ownership, it would be virtually impossible to determine who was responsible for what maintenance. This was also the year of the one-for-ten reverse split (after a previous one-for four) which precluded me from attending any more meetings.

#530202  by Otto Vondrak

Could it be that CSX owns the bridge, but LAL must maintain the track they run on? Or is track repair west of old Mortimer Junction the responsibility of CSX?

-otto-

#530237  by railwatcher

Otto, I asked that question the other day, and Luther stated LAL had ownership of the track to the switch at GJ. But, the bridge itself could be a different entity, with a use priveledge to get to the junction. If CSX owns and maintains it, the bridge will be in the river before anything is fixed, based on their recent history.

#530263  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:Otto, I asked that question the other day, and Luther stated LAL had ownership of the track to the switch at GJ. But, the bridge itself could be a different entity, with a use priveledge to get to the junction. If CSX owns and maintains it, the bridge will be in the river before anything is fixed, based on their recent history.
In this case, I believe it is a shared right of way sort of thing. The maintenance duties belong to CSX for the bridge as the bridge was put under their ownership by our blue friend (Conrail.) The next time I have a conversation with the right person, I will ask about this location but as far as I can recall, it is CSX's duty to maintain the crossings there, the bridge, and of course the Junction and the Westshore aside from any portion that the LA&L owns and runs own which to my knowledge is up to the switch.

As for when the bridge may need help, it still appears to be strong bridge. Watch it as a CSX freight goes over it, and it looks decent, no major warping and flexing. If I recall correctly the current bridge is nearing or just over 100 years of age. I'll check the next time I'm in the area.

To all out there....
Oh and because it needs to be said, don't be the one to have to to go for a swim because of trespassing and oncoming trains. Remember it's a railroad bridge and it is built and maintained as such not a people bridge, though I have seen many trespassers on it over the years.

#530320  by Mike Walsh

Luther Brefo wrote:To all out there....
Oh and because it needs to be said, don't be the one to have to to go for a swim because of trespassing and oncoming trains. Remember it's a railroad bridge and it is built and maintained as such not a people bridge, though I have seen many trespassers on it over the years.
...or be the one to have to call the cops and have your jeep towed off the bridge....

#532725  by FarmallBob

Luther Brefo wrote:If I recall correctly the current bridge is nearing or just over 100 years of age. I'll check the next time I'm in the area.
Right on Luther. Here's a shot of the builder's plate - 103 years old!

...FB