Railroad Forums 

• SD 45's seen in Olean.

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#499874  by railwatcher

While cruising the different forums I ran across these:

There are two SD-45 (carbody) leasers in Olean - I first spotted them last Wed. I'll post the numbers later. I'm not sure but I assume them to be additional lease power for the WNYP - needed for new tonnage and miles.....(DFT and 397/398, etc). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--JSW

danpik1 <danpik> wrote: Just kind of curious about the HLCX lease units in the yard in
Allegany. I see about 4 units there every day along with a mix of WNY&P
power. Is the railroad short on power or is something else happening? I
am curious if the powers that be might be looking at additional power
as the alco's are getting harder to find?

Dan

Those are from the yahoo LAL Forum, so with the 3 SD40's and 2 SD45's that is a significant amount of lease power all from HLCX. It must be taking too long to ready the Big Alcos in Cohocton. Also, those RRPX units in Falconer must be down for the count, and not enough power for the big jobs over Keating Summit and on to Hornell. Anyone get any numbers or pictures?

Greg

#500034  by pablo

Oh, Luther, don't be coy. What's the reason?

Dave Becker

#500154  by Luther Brefo

pablo wrote:Oh, Luther, don't be coy. What's the reason?

Dave Becker
Give me a day or two to confirm. I don't like to pass rumors around so I just want to be sure. Thanks for understanding.

#500290  by pablo

I was just giving you a hard time. There's never a need to listen to me...and keep your information hidden as you see fit.

Dave Becker

#500345  by BR&P

Geez, go ahead and tell him. They're re-building the NYO&W, connecting with the old Erie which will be restored to Chicago. There it will connect with the reactivated Rock Island, and ....I forget which line they're getting to the West Coast with, thus providing true transcontinental service.

The SD40's are merely fill-in power until details are wrapped up with UP, assembling all the remaining Big Boys from various displays and museums to be used for mainline power. To recognize the heritage, cabooses will not be pooled but will reflect the ancestry of each segment - wooden NYO&W's in the east, then steel Erie cabs to Chicago, etc.

I got this on good authority from someone who I can't name, but I'm SURE it's true. ;-)

#500378  by Luther Brefo

This one had me cracking up. In an alternate universe...maybe this would plausible. :P
BR&P wrote:Geez, go ahead and tell him. They're re-building the NYO&W, connecting with the old Erie which will be restored to Chicago. There it will connect with the reactivated Rock Island, and ....I forget which line they're getting to the West Coast with, thus providing true transcontinental service.

The SD40's are merely fill-in power until details are wrapped up with UP, assembling all the remaining Big Boys from various displays and museums to be used for mainline power. To recognize the heritage, cabooses will not be pooled but will reflect the ancestry of each segment - wooden NYO&W's in the east, then steel Erie cabs to Chicago, etc.

I got this on good authority from someone who I can't name, but I'm SURE it's true. ;-)

#500433  by Mike Walsh

Luther Brefo wrote:This one had me cracking up. In an alternate universe...maybe this would plausible. :P
BR&P wrote:Geez, go ahead and tell him. They're re-building the NYO&W, connecting with the old Erie which will be restored to Chicago. There it will connect with the reactivated Rock Island, and ....I forget which line they're getting to the West Coast with, thus providing true transcontinental service.

whoo whoo!!! LOL

#500439  by boblenon

I heard they were going to recycle all of those SD45s and make new Alcos :)

#500517  by railwatcher

On with the jocularity!

Will be taking the six axle trucks off of the SD45s and putting them under the RPPX units in Falconer. Transplanting the prime movers to make them C645s. A regular Frankenstein on rails! LMAO

#500593  by Mike Walsh

ding

#500750  by Luther Brefo

From an informed source:

The five SD40-2s are on lease. More of the M636s will need to come online before we start to see these Chevys go back.

And there you have it.

#501054  by railwatcher

Thanks Luther and "Mr. Informed Source." :P

Greg
 #501214  by jr

The SD45 bodies are HLCX 6505 and 6510. There were more EMDs than Alcos in the yard this weekend. Dang.

JR