Railroad Forums 

• LA&L, WNYP, B&H Train Movements 2008

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#616604  by kf7strng

NS59 wrote:DFT-22 out of Olean around noon with 637/4264
Saw this train at port A Yesterday switching the glass plant there. This was around 2-230. They were elephant style when I saw them, and 4264 was doing most of the work while 637 sat idling. Did this train move farther south afterwards? I didn't see, nor hear them the rest of the night, (and I have no clue if they can reverse power anywhere near port A, other than Olean), however I saw WNYP track workers Both on the way to, and from Port A, on the rails with one of the trucks. Signal problems is what I heard.
 #616649  by Anchorman

By "reverse power" do you mean wye or turn power? If so - no. Olean is the closest. No other place on the WNYP that I know of. Maybe Meadville has one? As far as the Buffalo Line is concerned, one at GJ and one at Keating would be the nearest ones, but that's off their territory - FYI.
 #616761  by RS115

Nice the hear that 4264 is back amongst the living. Any movement on 4223 & 4228? I've always been surprised that they've sat OOS for so long as they were shipped in operating condition.
A
 #616776  by EMTRailfan

pablo wrote:The only wye is at Olean, though the WNYP has utilized the wye at Gang Mills to turn a passenger train at least once that I know of.

Dave Becker
Nothing at Meadville, but would a WYE at BK/OC Branch/NS Meadville Line be a possiblity/wise investment? It would entail a bridge over Wilson Chute though.

***EDIT*** Another possiblity to build a WYE. What about connecting with another leg at the Main/ *sp Villanonia Branch at Bessemer St.?
 #616932  by kf7strng

To claify, the power I saw were both Nose forward, and were facing Olean., What I was asking is if those 2 units were to take a train farther south that port A, they would have to reverse the direction of atleast one of the locos so that atleast one was nose forward, right?

And as others stated, I do believe that Olean i the only place "close" to Port A and on WNYP territory where they could turn the engines around.

Also, MERRY CHRISTMAS too all of my fellow railfans, in all territories, and a VERY special thank you to WNYP&LAL, as well as NS, for the services they provide.
 #617310  by scottychaos

kf7strng wrote:To claify, the power I saw were both Nose forward, and were facing Olean., What I was asking is if those 2 units were to take a train farther south that port A, they would have to reverse the direction of atleast one of the locos so that atleast one was nose forward, right?
No, there is no reason they would have to reverese one of the units..
both could return "elephant style" with the lead unit running "backwards"..

normally in a 2-unit situation, one would be "cab first" in both directions, so no matter which way you run,
the lead unit is running "forward"..thats the ideal, but diesels run in reverse, in the lead, all the time..
if these two units were going to be a standard pair long-term, they would probably considering turning one of them,
but for a temporary situation, there is no real reason to bother..

Scot
 #617360  by kf7strng

Thanks Scot. I figured it was only a short trip, because going all the way from port A south with both noses north wouldn't be practical. (Although locomotive power runs just as well in reverse as it does in forward).

Also, I have not seen any coal hoppers at buffalo Yard fo some time. does anyone know why this is? There is still a consideranle amount of coal sitting in a pile at the yard. As far as I know the coal has been destined for the power plant at Jamestown,NY. Unlike the stone for turtlepoint, a coal plant should be burning daily, so why has the coal stopped moving out of Buffalo Yard?

I hope everyone has had a merry christmas, and continues to enjoy the remainder of the holidays!