Railroad Forums 

• Show us your best photographic work!

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#467740  by EMTRailfan

*removed*

Thanks, Luther.
Last edited by EMTRailfan on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

#467745  by Luther Brefo

EMTRailfan wrote:I got it to show as a clickable link in my tries, but I was shooting for the actual photo like the guys above.

***This msg. will self destruct in a few days since it is not a LAL photo. Just hoping someone can help.***
EMT,

What you need to do is right click on the image provided in that link and if using retrieve the actual image location. The URL you posted is a script that brings up the image not a direct link to that image itself.

In Firefox, you can get the image location by right clicking on the image and selecting "Copy Image Location." The direct link to the image will be saved to the clipboard and now you can paste(Ctrl+V) this URL between the tags.

In IE, it is a tad bit more involved in that you must right click on the image, select "Properties" and then select all of the text that shows up under the Address (URL) label and copy (Ctrl +C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) the selected text between the tags.

Such that this is end result:

#473081  by scottychaos

Managed to catch the LAL at Genesee Junction yesterday.
saw the headlight as I crossed the tracks at Scottsville Road,
so I parked on Ballantine and took a walk up the Greenway Trail.

Scot

#477956  by FL9AC

Here's a few I shot while I was in school up in Alfred :-D :

#480546  by superdart

I'll be looking forward to coming home around March. I have a new Nikon SLR, and hope to get some nice pictures while I'm home. :-D

#480594  by Mike Walsh

Thanks, Steve!

I appreciate your compliments. I like how the shot came out, given that I didn't have a tripod, nor a steady base to set it upon!

Mike

#480601  by pennsy

Hi Mike,

I've posted this several times before, but it is worth repeating in this case.

If you find yourself in a situation where a tripod is necessary and you don't have one, try this Monopod solution. This has been used by professional photographers for years.

Tape a spare film cassette holder onto your camera strap. Into the cassette holder you place a length of string, long enough to reach from your camera to the ground, so you can step on it. You take the string, attach it to the bottom of your camera, the tripod mount screw will do fine, and drop the string to the ground. You now step on the string and pull it taut. As long as the string is taut, under tension, the camera will be steady and you can take time exposures with it. You now have a do it yourself portable monopod at a moments notice. Good luck.

#480603  by scottychaos

pennsy wrote:Hi Mike,

I've posted this several times before, but it is worth repeating in this case.

If you find yourself in a situation where a tripod is necessary and you don't have one, try this Monopod solution. This has been used by professional photographers for years.

Tape a spare film cassette holder onto your camera strap. Into the cassette holder you place a length of string, long enough to reach from your camera to the ground, so you can step on it. You take the string, attach it to the bottom of your camera, the tripod mount screw will do fine, and drop the string to the ground. You now step on the string and pull it taut. As long as the string is taut, under tension, the camera will be steady and you can take time exposures with it. You now have a do it yourself portable monopod at a moments notice. Good luck.
Alan,
thats a cool idea! :P
of course it wont be as steady as a tripod, and you will still get some shaking just from your hands..
but its certainly better than just regular hand-holding!

Would probably work great for an exposure of a second or two..
but probably not so good for 5 seconds or more..
for exposures that long, you pretty much need a tripod.
(or sit the camera down on a steady surface..car roof, bench, etc..
then set the camera for the long exposure, set the self-timer, and step away from the camera..)

Scot

#480608  by pennsy

Hi Scotty,

You need to try it. It will surprise you. I have used it for several seconds etc. As long as the string is taut, you are steady. If you would feel safer, you can also hold your breath. Either way, try it you will like it. Lots of professional photographers use it. Works quite well with telephotos lenses as well.

#480923  by superdart

Interesting trick.

I just have a mini 3ft tripod for emergency use that I keep in my truck.

When I plan on doing photo stuff I have a full size tripod I bring along.