Railroad Forums 

• Back in Time on the LAL: 1974

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#434405  by Otto Vondrak

John Fasulo, a photographer residing in the Hudson Valley, shares the story of a special day in Lakeville in 1974...

http://www.lightsourcephoto.com/rr_page.html

-otto-

#434489  by RS115

Nice shot and story. It would be interesting to see the other photos to which he refers. Otto - do you know if they are posted any where. I couldn't see any way to get beyond that article.

#434592  by Luther Brefo

Some of his other photos can be found on my website. Take a peek at the galleries over at LALRailfan.net

Also, John's follow-up photo-shoot with Mr. McGarvey was published in a fairly recent issue of a magazine put together by the same guys that used to publish CTC Board.

#434644  by EMTRailfan

Great story, Otto. Thanks for sharing your find. LAL #38 is now located on the Knox and Kane RR. Last reports are that 38 is stored in Kane. The railroad is no longer running freight or excursions, but I am pretty sure that #38's boiler was rebuilt just before the FRA made the manditory inspections, and 38 will have to go through that again in order to run. The origin of #38 started on the Huntington&Broad Top RR near Altoona. Not sure if the LAL aquired it directly from the H&BT or not. The tender has now been restenciled with the H&BT RR.

#440328  by EMTRailfan

Check the Pennsylvania Railfan thread. It appears that there is a "posiblility" the the Knox and Kane is going to run steam excursions from Kane to the old Viaduct in 2008. It does not say whether they will be using #38 or #58. Since #38 just went through a rebuild before the FRA made them manditory, maybe the FRA is going to allow a "short cut" in the inspection. The atricle also says that it will take the better part of the winter to get the steamer ready, so it may go with either one. Be nice to see a double header, but I think I'm dreaming too much now.