Railroad Forums 

• Stuff left in Olean after 8/3/07

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#421900  by railwatcher

A recent ride down by the Olean yard, has left me with a question....

After the WNYP takes over the facilty, and yard, who takes posession of the items that NS has left behind? A week ago there was still a plow and a few other pieces of equipment there, along with whatever railcars are there. Or, are they really cleaning house?

#421949  by Luther Brefo

I recall when the NS left the line to Oil Ciy, they left behind an ex Conrail N-11E caboose. This caboose is now a WNYP hack.

I hope some of the equipment is left behind, like the yellow Penn Central MOW baggage car, still with full PC markings and all. There was also a couple of boxcars till in PC green, fully lettered.

It makes for excellent storage and/or active use.

#421965  by Otto Vondrak

Luther, please expand upon this PC MOW bag (an old PRR B60, I presume) and PC boxes that are in Olean... you have my full attention!

-otto-

#422058  by EMTRailfan

Luther Brefo wrote:I recall when the NS left the line to Oil Ciy, they left behind an ex Conrail N-11E caboose. This caboose is now a WNYP hack.

I hope some of the equipment is left behind, like the yellow Penn Central MOW baggage car, still with full PC markings and all. There was also a couple of boxcars till in PC green, fully lettered.

It makes for excellent storage and/or active use.
Is the caboose the one that currently sits in Meadville along with the baggage car from Oil City that Conrail used as a MOW office or storage? I knew the baggage car came from Oil City, but I didn't realize there was also a caboose. If it is the same caboose (I think WNYP #311), it looks good in WNYP red/yellow livery. I have a few shots of it at home if interested (I'm working now and can't confirm the #). I've tried posting photo links on here before and was unsuccessful. Can anyone help if you are interested in seeing the pics?

#422076  by Luther Brefo

I'd like to see the images. I'd recommend you use Imageshack.us to host the images, otherwise, you can send them to me via email and I will upload them for you. The newest WNYP caboose is the 301. ex Conrail 18541, left in Oil City by the NS when the WNYP become DO of the line to OC.

From last winter:

This image is of the caboose upon acquisition:

The following photo was not taken by me. It was found on the railfan.net forum.

and this is during the paint process:

Photos by Ron Carlson

#422173  by scottychaos

Luther Brefo wrote:I'd like to see the images. I'd recommend you use Imageshack.us to host the images, otherwise, you can send them to me via email and I will upload them for you.
I'd recommend you DONT use imageshack!
images hosted on imageshack disappear after 6 months to a year..
slowly, one by one, they just get deleted..

check out this old thread of mine, 14 months old:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=246475

I will probably re-upload them to photobucket and change all the links..

I switched to photobucket months ago, so far, no problems..
(I also use my own paid-for hosting for my webpages, that has limited space, but I least I know those pics wont go anywhere..)

Scot

#422216  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:
Luther Brefo wrote:I'd like to see the images. I'd recommend you use Imageshack.us to host the images, otherwise, you can send them to me via email and I will upload them for you.
I'd recommend you DONT use imageshack!
images hosted on imageshack disappear after 6 months to a year..
slowly, one by one, they just get deleted..

check out this old thread of mine, 14 months old:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=246475

I will probably re-upload them to photobucket and change all the links..

I switched to photobucket months ago, so far, no problems..
(I also use my own paid-for hosting for my webpages, that has limited space, but I least I know those pics wont go anywhere..)

Scot
Scot,

It is okay. For a temporary, let's just get these images up on the web, it is fine. It's quick fix. :) I've got plenty of space via a hosting environment as well.

#422423  by Luther Brefo

Here is a shot of the PC boxcar. There were some Conrail MOW equipment still around as well. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find my shots of the PC baggage car, maybe the friend I was with can find his more easily. I'll ask him.

But for now, enjoy these.
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

#422426  by Luther Brefo

Forgot the other PC boxcar. This one was closer to the office. The others were within the body of the yard.

I doubt this PC boxcar is going anywhere since it has friction bearing trucks. NS very well could take it to their Buffalo yard but it may not be of any value to them at all.

#422431  by pablo

There used to be a mountain of flangers and plows there, within the last four years or so. Can I assume that those have been moved?

Olean's yard is nice for a variety of reasons, but in case no one has mentioned it, here's another one: Conrail or NS went through with a magnet and picked up all of the crap that was laying around, and so you won't (or, at least, you didn't) see spikes and other railroad-related garbage around as a hazard when walking.

Dave Becker