Railroad Forums 

• So, where are all of these "New" Locos, now?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#432348  by railwatcher

Intriguing, thanks for the reply, I assume the hydroponics is also offers some sort of lubricant to the cooling system. I know that traditional antifireeze will gum or eat up some metals over time, but it seems that something is better than basically nothing, specifically to a low use or stored engine. I would think that a drained system would lead to siezed pumps and internal flaking to the cooling parts, and now I am way away from the topic. But, thanks for the input. :-)

#432388  by Luther Brefo

I've been told that antifreeze is also incompatible with some of the silver components used in Alco cooling systems and diesel engines.

However, smaller locomotive often have diesel engines that are compatible with 50/50 anti-freeze/water. More specifically GE's "XX-Tonners" where XX is a number greater or equal to 25 but less than 120.

But yes, a topic for another thread.

#432491  by sallenparks

All eight big sixes still in Bingo I was hopeing theyed leave today.Oddly enough the Q fired up one maybe two for some reason they didn't go anywhere though watched from down by QD.

#432494  by sallenparks

Andy those old Amtrak boxs in your photos where lettered RRPX going east this afternoon.

#432502  by blabey

ALCO-C, LLP, formerly leased C630m No. 630 to the WNYP. That unit was sold to the railroad, and ALCO-C has entered into a capital lease with the railroad on three M636's. The managing Partner of ALCO-C is the WNYP's Chairman.

#432598  by railwatcher

Thanks for the company info fill in, Mr. Blabey. Looks like she (#630)is going to be in good company with some new sisters.

#434032  by sallenparks

ALCO-C's three M636's 3664,3666,3668 are now in Elmira yard.