Railroad Forums 

• WNY&P WANTS 6-8 six axle Alcos

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#391703  by Alcoman

It sounds like it is true then. Question still begs....Where are they going to find 1/2 dozen or so six axle ALCOS ?????

#391720  by Luther Brefo

Alcoman wrote:Where are they going to find 1/2 dozen or so six axle ALCOS ?????
Perhaps the NYSW will be willing to let go of their collection.

#391778  by mtuandrew

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the HR616s? Besides the fact that they've been retired for 6 years or more and were pretty well thrashed, that is. Would they be worthwhile to rebuild if LA&L or NYS&W were looking to buy, or are they complete trash?
 #391782  by Sandy Burton

The NYS&W fleet seems to be the only logical option. Since the Q has been rebuilding their SDs, maybe they can spare four or five M636s.

Sandy

#391821  by RS-3

What Sandy says makes sense. Not a lot of choices. Based on NRE's track record the 616's would probably cost a mint. (NRE rarely resells Alcos, but parts them out as the parts are worth more than the units as a whole.)

Unless Cartier is ready to part with their remaining Big Alcos, the NYSW is the best bet. The only bet. I guess they could lease or buy the DL's. (Oh God, now I've done it. I should point out that that's NOT likely to happen in my mind. VERY unlikely.)

Nope, I have to agree with Sandy, the NYS&W has been operating with only one Alco in service so its clear they can live without them. Here's their chance to get their investment back. A win-win for both parties. (Still I wouldn't bet money on it, though I like the idea.) Time will tell.

RS
 #392192  by Steve F45

Sandy Burton wrote:The NYS&W fleet seems to be the only logical option. Since the Q has been rebuilding their SDs, maybe they can spare four or five M636s.

Sandy
4 or 5? They only have 1 that actually runs. they've been working on a new computer system for another, another is beeing worked on. and the rest i think are just dead in the water.
 #392225  by Luther Brefo

2005Vdub wrote:
Sandy Burton wrote:The NYS&W fleet seems to be the only logical option. Since the Q has been rebuilding their SDs, maybe they can spare four or five M636s.

Sandy
4 or 5? They only have 1 that actually runs. they've been working on a new computer system for another, another is beeing worked on. and the rest i think are just dead in the water.
As long as they have not been scrapped, they are still candidates for sale. Anything can be sold...for the right price.

#392288  by RS-3

A, What the NYSW has running has nothing to do with the how many LA&L/WNY&P can run. They wouldn't be the first units LA&L/WNY&P purchased that were not ready to run. B, I understand NYS&W has two more almost ready to return to service so they should have at least 3 in service soon. C, There's a world of difference between the NYS&W and the LA&L/WNY&P.

RS

#392299  by Steve F45

well maybe wnyp will try and purchase the few alcos from nysw that are oos.

#392745  by railwatcher

This topic is good, but let's be sure to keep with the topic at hand.....WNYP wanting six to eight 6 axles ALCos.

Railwatcher, Moderator

#392779  by oibu

My only thought here is, that since the eight 636s currently on NYS&W were owned by WNYP/M&E management folks and sold to NYS&W... geeze, doesn't it sound like WNYP HAD their "6-8 six axle Alcos" and then sold them?

And not to discredit MR. Burt or the SOurce, but where is this apparently HUGE amount of sand traffic going to come from that didn't exist until just now?

Something here still isn't adding up.

#392785  by pablo

You'd be surprised about the amount of traffic that could show up on the WNYP.

And, again...did you read some of the other information, specifically, the word from Mr. Burt at a dinner in Cuba?

The need for the larger units is there. Or will be within 12 months.

Dave Becker

#392860  by RS-3

A lot of Class I's don't want to even bother with sand. (Classic example is the BN's Ft Smith line, then when A&M took over sand became a big business for them, business BN didn't want.) It makes sense for the WNY&P to go after the sand business. Its perfect traffic for them.

And Mr Becker is right, there's a lot of traffic out there just waiting to for someone to go after. I'd bet on Mr Burt every time. (Might not win every time, but I'd sure come out ahead.)

As to "had the units", yes, they did. (Or so that's my take.) Alas timing is everything and I *suspect* the long time getting the BL line takeover up and going meant they couldn't justify the lease/purchase of the units till they at least had the BL line on the radar. When NYS&W came calling for the units the owners could hardly afford to turn down money in hand vs money in the bush. Still lets hope they end up on the WNY&P in the end.

RS