Railroad Forums 

• 2007 Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR Movements

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#468334  by railwatcher

11/16/07 LAL northbound train into Avon under lightly falling snow, shortly after 9am. #420 and #425 with 21 cars, a mix of covered hoppers and tankers rolled in town from Lakeville.

#468362  by railfan87

Around 10:35 AM LA&L crossed Bailey Road heading north

#469498  by conrail6479

LAL #420 and #425 heading southbound from GJ at 1635 today. 25 covered hoppers 25 tanker cars.

#469669  by alsorailfan

11/19/07 420/425 out of Lakeville w/4 tankers and 6 covered hoppers. Picked up 5 covered hopper in Avon. Left the train at the S curve in Henrietta and ran light to GJ. Picked up a box car for Matthews Fields. There they split the engine, 425 backed up-coupled up to a covered hopper and empty center beam flat and then pulled forward to the drill track and backed up to hook up with 420. Left the box car and backed up to pick up the CP covered hopper from ??? business. Then went back for the box car, spotted it at Matthews. (That drill track can barely hold the 2 engines and 4 cars, don't know if it can hold a fifth car?? Anyone know??) Spotted the CP covered tanker back at the business and continued on back to the S curve. After they cleared BHTL road, they stopped (I was at E. River rd. then) and waited for CSX to drop off the incoming cars. (CSX backed up what seemed like 1 mph....might have been the cold wind finally getting to me.) Finally LAL went into GJ. CSX was still sitting on the West Shore, maybe to pick up the outgoing train?? By then it was somewhere around 14:00 and 14:50 and the wind won out. Just as well considering the time they left GJ.

Chris

#469687  by Luther Brefo

alsorailfan wrote:11/19/07 420/425 out of Lakeville w/4 tankers and 6 covered hoppers. Picked up 5 covered hopper in Avon. Left the train at the S curve in Henrietta and ran light to GJ. Picked up a box car for Matthews Fields. There they split the engine, 425 backed up-coupled up to a covered hopper and empty center beam flat and then pulled forward to the drill track and backed up to hook up with 420. Left the box car and backed up to pick up the CP covered hopper from ??? business. Then went back for the box car, spotted it at Matthews. (That drill track can barely hold the 2 engines and 4 cars, don't know if it can hold a fifth car?? Anyone know??) Spotted the CP covered tanker back at the business and continued on back to the S curve. After they cleared BHTL road, they stopped (I was at E. River rd. then) and waited for CSX to drop off the incoming cars. (CSX backed up what seemed like 1 mph....might have been the cold wind finally getting to me.) Finally LAL went into GJ. CSX was still sitting on the West Shore, maybe to pick up the outgoing train?? By then it was somewhere around 14:00 and 14:50 and the wind won out. Just as well considering the time they left GJ.

Chris
Nice report Chris! Very thorough. That customer if I recall correctly is named High Point Mills. They share the stub with M&F Lumber. That "drill track" and actually that whole branch off the LA&L used to be the Lehigh Valley to Rochester.

#471916  by railwatcher

11/26/07 North into Avon with #420 and #425 with about 18 cars. Stopping in Avon for switching duties, arrival was shortly after 8:30am.

#472033  by boblenon

They crossed B-H Townline Rd about 1:10 pm today after doing M&F - about 30 cars.

#472755  by railwatcher

11/26/07 Southbound train left cars north of the Barilla Dr. I assume it was due to the time of day, and being close to outlawing. Engines went south out of Avon at about 6:30pm Monday night.

11/28/07 Northbound in Avon before 9am. The MOW crew was also working around Avon. Picked up 6 cars left on the Industrial Siding and put them on the main, Then they went to Kraft with 3 cars and removed 5 empties, then they headed back to the main attaching all 11 cars to the main body of the train. After rolling through to the north end of the yard they stopped and picked up 6 cars to drop at Howletts. At Howletts they retrieved 5 loaded covered hoppers. And finally, before 11am headed into Monroe County. #420 and #425 were the engines of the day, Took my last picture at the county line and went to Golad Rd. but the train was already there before I could get parked and set up for the shot. Couldnt find a better way to start a birthday than railfanning the LAL.

Throttles up!

#472817  by alsorailfan

Greg,

Happy Birthday!

Where was the first picture taken?

Chris

#472822  by railwatcher

Thanks Chris!

I was at the crossing at Barilla Drive. It is a good location, now that the street is open.

#473032  by railwatcher

Thanks Luther,

Same old camera, just awake enough to take the shots.

Was a good day, some sun, some blue patches in the sky, and no pressure to be somewhere.

11/28/07 LAL @ around 4:45 pmThe south bound train rolled out of Avon last night with #425 leading #420 and 5 cars.

11/29/07 LAL north into Avon with unknown car count led by #420 and #425 after 8:30 am.

#473188  by railwatcher

11/29/07 LAL Southbound from Avon with #425 and #420 respectively and about 27 cars headed for Lakeville. Pulling the grade out of Avon slowly. Rolled into the Lakeville yard before 3:15pm

#474724  by railfan87

12/3/07 Around 11:30 the LA&L crossed Bailey road heading north. The short nose of 420 leading the train through the blustering snow.