Railroad Forums 

• 2007 Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR Movements

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#441987  by railwatcher

9/5/07 #420 and #425 are in Avon before 9pm on the northbound night run to Rochester unknown car count, the crew switched Kraft.

Greg

#444767  by Mike Walsh

LA&L went north to avon with 420 and the Traveller at approximately 2:00 PM. Upon arrival, they cut the power from the Traveller and then shoved four hoppers from the yard to the Kraft industrial spur so they could run around the Traveller. Upon completing this move, they coupled up to the Traveller and proceeded south. They were moving pretty good, as it was difficult to keep up with them all the way to Lakeville. Upon arriving, they parked the Traveller and the Alco on the engine track nearest the parking lot for unloading of the VIP's. Soon after arrival, 72 came back to the yard to take a break from switching the industries south of the engine terminal. The VIP duo is still parked in the yard as I write this .

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=201320

(edit: changed 425 to 420. Sorry, I was typing and chasing simultaneously... kids, dont do this at home!)

(edit2: added link for photo)
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#444862  by conrail6479

LAL interchaning with RSRR and is heading southbound

#444895  by railwatcher

Northboound Engines through Avon by 8:30pm, Engines #420 and #425 and unknown count, but not alot, stopped and picked up the 4 covered hoppers from the Avon Industrial Line and headed north thru the yard.

#445770  by railwatcher

SUNDAY TRAIN!!!!! #420 and #425 were at Kraft this morning around 10am. Took 5 tank cars in and removed 4. Didn't notice if this was a northbound train move or just switching duties.

Greg

#447048  by Luther Brefo

The Sunday train was a customer rescue run. As two customers were getting short on supplies the railroad did what it does best and satisfied the needs of the customers. The train did run northbound to pickup more ingredients for two of the online customers.

#449228  by railwatcher

Over the weekend the CWR crews were working, ballast work was being done, etc. Line was cleared of equipment late Monday so a train could run to Genesee Jct. Engines rolled into Avon 9/24/07 after dark.. They stopped in Avon to pick up a large string of cars that had been parked on the Avon Industrial line, added it to the train and headed to Rochester. I didnt see the power, or car count.

Greg

#449568  by the1jp

Northbound train through Avon Village at around 8:30 local time last night. Because it is dark earlier and the train travel is quietier I can't see much except the hopper as they cross Rts 5 & 20. Unknown count and diesels!

#449571  by railwatcher

the1jp wrote:Northbound train through Avon Village at around 8:30 local time last night. Because it is dark earlier and the train travel is quietier I can't see much except the hopper as they cross Rts 5 & 20. Unknown count and diesels!

the 1jp, That's true. My version of last night was, I almost missed the train going through, just a litttle noise, and no visuals. But, the leaves will be gone soon! Then I will be able to get a car count from home again.

#450224  by railfan87

Is the LA&L back on days now? I caught 420 and 425 today crossing West Henrietta Road headed back to Genesee Junction from M&F lumber around 12:30 pm. The train had to stop at the traffic light governing the crossing....never seen that before. A train stops for cars for once!

#450228  by railwatcher

South out of Avon, with a good sized train, and picking up speed uphill out of the yard. #425 leading #420 at sometime after 5pm (not to be quoted).

#450264  by Luther Brefo

railfan87 wrote:Is the LA&L back on days now? I caught 420 and 425 today crossing West Henrietta Road headed back to Genesee Junction from M&F lumber around 12:30 pm. The train had to stop at the traffic light governing the crossing....never seen that before. A train stops for cars for once!
There are simply too many obstacles, width of road, electric and phone lines, massive amounts of road traffic, less frequent use of that crossing that it makes more sense to stop traffic by way of traffic light and then grant the train permission to cross. If this were the main line and not the branch some other mechanism/a way to get functional gates installed would have been used. Rt 20 in Avon is a road of the same size but at least the utility poles are set further back.

As far as I know the maintenance crews are almost done with the work. I am not 100% sure as they do also take breaks every now and again but it is coming to a close soon.