Railroad Forums 

• LAL railfanning advice needed

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#296345  by march hare

OK, let's talk generalities here:

I know its a short line and things change day to day. BUT, if I were to be blowing thorough Avon (we have a regional office there) what would be the best day of the week to go?

AND, if I'm in Rochester at mid day, how can I figure out when he's back there in Genesee Jct. so I know if there's something to chase south? I've never been able to find a public access location that allowed a peek in there. Any suggestions?

#296619  by railwatcher

The best days to try are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Other days they run as needed.

In Avon, Rts 5 and 20 run together and the only crossing in town is the LAL's. This crossing is at the south end of the yard, although there is some other trackage there south of the crossing. 8:45 am to 10 am for the north movemment and 3pm to 5 pm southbound.

At Genesee Junction, not readily accessible to the yard here but it is west of the Genesee River bridge, and west of Scottsville Rd. and north of Jefferson. Tracks parallel the CSX tracks to Mortimer Jct. where the LAL goes south and south east.

Hope this helps.

Greg

#296762  by Mike Walsh

I also would not suggest entering Genesee Jct, as it is CSX Property, despite the fact that LAL runs into it on their own trackage. You could probably drive over the crossing on Scottsville RD (i think it's scotsville rd) looking west, and you might see something... if you don't see anything obstructing (most of it is way back there to the south, where the actual yard is), then they are likely not there, or could be switching the other end, or could have possibly gone up to Brooks Ave yard to pick up a car or two.

#296846  by scottychaos

I do not see any moral, legal or safety issues with walking up to Genesee Junction yard..considering the Genesee Greenway trail runs directly to the yard.

yes, if you go too far, right up to the tracks, technically you would be tresspassing, but its possible to get VERY close to the yard without leaving the Greenway trail...

Drive past the main entrance of RIT on Jefferson road (route 252) heading West..
Jefferson road crosses the Genesee River and becomes Ballantyne road (still route 252)..keep going straight.
about half a mile after 252 crosses the river, the Genesee Valley Greenway crosses the road...park along Ballantyne road and hike north.

You are walking along the ROW of the PRR Rochester branch..which was built on the towpath of the Genesee Canal..
as you walk between Ballantyne road and the tracks, notice the big ditch parallel to the trail on the left (west)..that IS the Genesee canal!
very cool..

The trail ends at the yard, then turns east toward Scottsville road, on a new section of trail that might not be officially open yet.

From the end of the Greenway trail..just before the tracks, you have a clear view of Genesee Junction yard.

after checking out the yard, backtrack a bit back down the Greenway, and look for a trail that leaves the Greenway and heads West..alongside the winding creek..take that trail and walk west..
you wont be right near the tracks..there will be trees between you and the tracks..you will be walking along the edge of water, Black Creek, which looks more like a big pond than a creek in this area..
look for the large abandoned turntable pit on your right! :P
This time of year, with all the leaves, the pit wont be highly visable..but its right next to the trail..cant miss it!

http://www.geocities.com/scottychaos/turntable.html

Scot

#297251  by Otto Vondrak

The road crews go on duty around 7:30 in Lakeville, but the train never leaves before 8:30. They generally arrive in Avon around 9:00am. Depending on what work there is, they could switch Kraft and Howlett Farms before leaving, adding an hour or two to their time.