Railroad Forums 

• Mortimer Junction/Genesee Junction

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#284433  by pablo

That's definitely the preferred way to get access, I just had no idea that they did it. Thanks for the information: the times I had ridden the LAL, I never saw this occur, likely because we would have been in the way.

Dave Becker

#284579  by nessman

The R&S owns the little remaining stub of the PRR at Genesee Jct.

#285937  by FarmallBob

BR&P wrote:That's a weird road. From RIT, you go west on Jefferson. Cross the river and it's Ballantyne. A couple miles farther it becomes Archer Rd, and a mile past that it becomes Beaver Rd - all the same road without making any turns. No wonder people get confused!
Indeed! I've lived in the area most of my adult life - I still occasionally get messed up by the Jefferson/Ballantyne/Archer/Beaver naming convention!

Suggestion: Refer to it simply as "NY 252" - applies to the road from end to end, Pittsford thru Chili.

...FB

#528458  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:I finally got around to moving my Genesee Junction page! :P
finally its off the dismal geocities..

here it is, new and improved:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... ction.html

thanks,
scot
Scot, the only thing to correct on that page is that only two railroads interchange at Genesee Junction. The R&S is not to interchange with the LAL or CSX there. GJ is for CSX-LAL interchange work. For LAL-R&S interchange, the LAL exercises their rights onto the R&S. and the R&S interchanges with CSX at Goodman Street Yard. The only other time the R&S is allowed through the yard is to get to 84 Lumber and Metalico and only after getting permission from the NF Dispatcher.

The far end of the Junction does have a runaround that is technically owned by the R&S. It's all weird there.

#528470  by scottychaos

Luther Brefo wrote:
scottychaos wrote:I finally got around to moving my Genesee Junction page! :P
finally its off the dismal geocities..

here it is, new and improved:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... ction.html

thanks,
scot
Scot, the only thing to correct on that page is that only two railroads interchange at Genesee Junction. The R&S is not to interchange with the LAL or CSX there. GJ is for CSX-LAL interchange work. For LAL-R&S interchange, the LAL exercises their rights onto the R&S. and the R&S interchanges with CSX at Goodman Street Yard. The only other time the R&S is allowed through the yard is to get to 84 Lumber and Metalico and only after getting permission from the NF Dispatcher.

The far end of the Junction does have a runaround that is technically owned by the R&S. It's all weird there.
good point!
thanks Luther..

I will just change the wording..
instead of "interchange of three railroads" I could safely say "the junction of three railroads"..
Genesee Junction was once the junction of three Railroads,
just south of Rochester, NY.
The New York Central. (originally the New York,Westshore & Buffalo)
The Baltimore & Ohio. (originally the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh)
and the Pennsylvania railroad. (whose ROW here was originally the Genesee Canal towpath!)

Today, it is STILL the junction point of three railroads!
then explain about the whole "interchange only between LAL and CSX, but R&S can use the PRR spur..etc etc"..

I will try to clean it up! ;)

thanks,
scot