Railroad Forums 

• Looking for pictures of LAL 2-8-2 #17

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#223677  by TB Diamond

lutherkb: Have one 35mm color slide of LA&L #17 that I purchased several years ago. Photographer unknown and undated, but the slide was processed by Kodak in April, 1967. Shows #17 pulling a train into Livonia from Avon. If recall serves, #17 was acquired in 1965 and entered service in 1966. The engine was replaced by #38 in 1968 and was sold for scrap. The tender was saved, however and was used on #38.

#231265  by Aa3rt

No photo (sorry) but we did have a discussion of this locomotive about two years ago in the New York State forum:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2948
 #231467  by Luther Brefo

TB Diamond wrote:lutherkb: Have one 35mm color slide of LA&L #17 that I purchased several years ago. Photographer unknown and undated, but the slide was processed by Kodak in April, 1967. Shows #17 pulling a train into Livonia from Avon. If recall serves, #17 was acquired in 1965 and entered service in 1966. The engine was replaced by #38 in 1968 and was sold for scrap. The tender was saved, however and was used on #38.
Would it be possible for you to scan them?
 #231555  by TB Diamond

Alas, do not have a scanner. Will attempt to take a shot of it and email same to you. Lived in Lakeville through the summer of 1967 and would hear #17 blowing for crossings. Never photographed it, however, this being an era where there was no personal interest in doing so.
 #231597  by Luther Brefo

TB Diamond wrote:Alas, do not have a scanner. Will attempt to take a shot of it and email same to you. Lived in Lakeville through the summer of 1967 and would hear #17 blowing for crossings. Never photographed it, however, this being an era where there was no personal interest in doing so.
Whatever you can do would be great! Thanks!
 #562335  by Aa3rt

Warning: Dormant topic being revived!

Happened to find this photo postcard of LA&L #17 that I purchased at a gift shop in Livonia in 1969 or 1970. The #17 had been built by Baldwin in 1923 (or 1924, depending on your reference), construction number 58683, weighing 125 tons with 54" drivers. She began her life as Savannah & Atlanta #504. Eventually she went to the Elk River Coal & Lumber Company and finally the Buffalo Creek & Gauley, although the owner is in dispute. Hope this is what you were looking for.

#562340  by Aa3rt

Sorry for the grainy quality of these scans, I tried several times with different settings but this is about as good as you're going to get. At least you can make out the loco. I remember her sitting dead on the Lakeville siding on my first visit to the LA&L in 1969. (We rode behind the former H&BTM #38.) On our visit in 1970, we discovered that the loco had been scrapped.