Railroad Forums 

• Train Symbols

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#220610  by bwparker1

Does anyone understand the WYNP train nomenclature? What does WAFO and WACH stand for?

Thanks,
Brooks
 #220633  by Luther Brefo

bwparker1 wrote:Does anyone understand the WYNP train nomenclature? What does WAFO and WACH stand for?

Thanks,
Brooks
This is simply a guess but I think WAFO is Falconer-Olean

and WACH could be Corry-Hornell...

Once more this is just a guess...

#220644  by bwparker1

There is a pic of WAME over on railfan.net

I thought the ME would be Meadeville. What is the WA??

Brooks

#220904  by Luther Brefo

Correction to my original post as I am now a little bit more informed.

ME means Meadville
FO means Falconer
etc...

The WA simple means "Way Freight to"

Source: roc on railfan.net forums

#223817  by Otto Vondrak

Yeah, these sound like old Conrail terms... WA for "way frieght" and maybe they'll have YA for yard jobs. Just my guess. Sure sounds better than the cryptic "Q-111" and "10T."

-otto-

#377103  by EMT_Railfan

I posted a similar request on another .net forum, and got a reply of 'WA' is way freight, and then the last to letters is where the train originated. Then to add to it, -12 would be the date that the train started also. So for example: WAME-12 would be a way freight from Meadville that started on the 12th. The reply did not say anything about the 'YA' for the yard jobs.

I was looking for a place to request a full as possible designation list, and this post looks as good as any. I'm really interseted in knowing what the Rouseville train is designated, and also does the designation change for the return to Meadville or stay the same?

#377534  by BR&P

If I recall correctly, Conrail's designation was the "W" for way freight, the second letter was the division, and the last two were the originating terminal. Since western New York was in the Albany Division trains did start with "WA" but on other divisions that second letter would have been different. Can anybody verify that I've got that right?

#377817  by BR&P

I received confirmation of the above off-forum. The second letter stood for the division. So while a way freight (traveling switcher in old NYC parlance) would be "WA" on the Albany Division, it would start with "WP" on the Philadelphia Div, "WH" on the Harrisburg Div, etc. Maybe since WNYP does not have divisions they elected to use the second letter of wAyfreight as well.