Railroad Forums 

• The Wye to Calendonia

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#266866  by avonrailfan62

To be honest with you, I don't remember that particular milepost you asked about. However, I do know of a "whistle post" on the Attica Branch near the intersection with the Greenway. This marker is the classic "W" that is sort of a stencil design in that the "W" is cut out of a round steel plate. This sign would weigh alot and I don't think it could be removed and moved by hand. It would be a nice addition to a museum collection. By chance I was up on the Attica Branch railbed near the Genesee River trestle this afternoon overlooking the vast Barilla Plant property with all the earth moving equipment parked a half mile away. The old right of way has been greatly cleared off in anticipation of the whole embankment being removed to be used as fill to build up the pasta plant and warehouse above the Genesee River flood plain. I was able to "steal" an old railroad spike as a souvenir before its all gone. It wil be very nice when the Greenway Trail is finally extended from the awesome Genesee River Trestle west to the main trail at Canawaugus. Note that the wye at Avon was immediately abandoned and removed following the Conrail takeover at the same time as the rest of the Attica Branch was abandoned. I'm thinking the LA&L can turn the locomotives in Henrietta at a wye near and behind Southtown, but maybe I'm wrong.
 #266981  by Luther Brefo

avonrailfan62 wrote: I'm thinking the LA&L can turn the locomotives in Henrietta at a wye near and behind Southtown, but maybe I'm wrong.
I don't think there is a wye there. The line comes North and loops around the Volvo and trucking facility there and heads west to Genesee Junction. South of Jefferson Road, there is a branch (remnant of the LV) that goes to serve a couple of customers.

If there is a wye here, I haven't seen it.
 #267163  by the1jp

Thanks for the memories!
This is a JC milepost. I believe it is 367 or 357 miles. I scrambled down the north side of the Attica branch fill to get a better look last week some day last week but one face of the post was damaged and the other face was upside down. You are correct in that the thing looks very heavy!
Railfan 62: If you go up there again, The earthmovers have dug a path up the north side so they can get from one side of the construction to the other. Watch your step.
Where did you get the information (that you can pass on) that the Branch is going to be taken down for the Barilla plant?

#267178  by scottychaos

R&S has a functional wye just north of Brooks ave yard.
CSX also has one near Lincoln park, where the Charlotte runner branches off of the mainline.

LAL could probably use the R&S wye is they needed to turn an engine.
I dont know if that ever happens though..

Anyone notice any mysterious turning of any LAL locos?

Scot

#267183  by railwatcher

I have yet to see any turned around on the LA&L. If one was to be installed there are places where a wye could add a switch. But there are none in place, today.

The R&S equation probably works well enough as it is a rare occurance. Good to hear from you Scot! Where ya been?

Greg

#267199  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:R&S has a functional wye just north of Brooks ave yard.
CSX also has one near Lincoln park, where the Charlotte runner branches off of the mainline.

LAL could probably use the R&S wye is they needed to turn an engine.
I dont know if that ever happens though..

Anyone notice any mysterious turning of any LAL locos?

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7540/rswye8fo.gif

Scot
Scot, where can a bigger version of that map be found? Wait...did you draw it yourself?

#267451  by keeper1616

lutherkb wrote: Scot, where can a bigger version of that map be found? Wait...did you draw it yourself?
looks like a shot off of local.live.com with the rail lines highlighted.

#267494  by scottychaos

keeper1616 wrote:
lutherkb wrote: Scot, where can a bigger version of that map be found? Wait...did you draw it yourself?
looks like a shot off of local.live.com with the rail lines highlighted.
yep,
thats exactly right! :P

http://local.live.com/

I just did a screen capture, and added in the blue and red on top of the tracks.
and check out the "bird's eye" aerial photos!

Scot
 #272410  by the1jp

I was trying for my usual Sat. or Sun. early AM walk along the fill from the village to the river when I discovered that about one half of the fill has already been taken down by the earth-movers building the Barilla plants. I believe they are using (like Luther said) the sand that is the base material for the fill as a base for the buildings. There are still sections at the river end and a section a the Wye end still in place, but how much of the fill that will be taken down is anybodies guess. The wye is still repairable still.