Railroad Forums 

• Status of LAL's locomotives

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#136797  by Legio X

What is the latest status of LAL's locomotives? Are there plans to reactivate the ex-GBW Alco Century 424's that are out of service, one of which was the PRR's sole C424 model?

#136874  by scottychaos

havent heard anything new in ages..
the 3 GBW C424s and the two Susquehanna C430's continue to sit alongside the enginehouse..
been sitting there for years,
although they do seem to get shuffled around sometimes!
dont know what that means..
as far as I know, none of them have yet entered the enginehouse to begin being worked on..
Scot
 #136992  by Matt Langworthy

I think the mechanical dept has had their hands very full with work on #425 and the OMID RS-11, as well as work for other RRs. I don't think that they've had much to time to work on the other C-424s or C-430s yet.
 #151890  by Railboy76

What is the status of the #425? Is it in service, What is its condition?

#151919  by scottychaos

I have read (I dont remember where, so many forums!) that the two Susquehanna C430's are being worked on!
one might even begin testing up to Genesee Junction very soon.
They will be WNYP 430 and 433.

425 was recently stored behind the engine house..needs minor work.

Scot

#184234  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:I have read (I dont remember where, so many forums!) that the two Susquehanna C430's are being worked on!

Scot
How minor is minor work?

Is it like tighten bolts here and there or replace all gaskets under the hood?

I only aske because I am modelling this unit.

#184240  by scottychaos

lutherkb wrote:
scottychaos wrote:I have read (I dont remember where, so many forums!) that the two Susquehanna C430's are being worked on!

Scot
How minor is minor work?

Is it like tighten bolts here and there or replace all gaskets under the hood?

I only aske because I am modelling this unit.
hmmm..I dont know "how minor" actually!
she has been out of service for quite awhile now..since at least May.
Matt said he heard she needs some traction motor work.
(from this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13662 )

Scot

#184298  by sallenparks

I heard that 430 EX. NYSW 3000 is being painted or started when Iwas there over the summer July I think both C430's where in the shop 3000 already re#430. C425 (425) was out back OMID RS11 has been chome fora little while now.The three GB&W units still sit next to the shop not any time soon for shop time I'm affraid. hope this helps some.

#189223  by scottychaos

swung by the Lakeville yard today.
not much to see, they were shut down for the day after Thanksgiving.(good for them! ;)

but NYSW 3006 is now behind the shop, in the location formerly occupied by 425 for most of this year..
which means 425 is inside the shop!
so, based on that observation, I would guess that 425 is being worked on, and 3006 is probably "next in line"..
(of course, that is just speculation on my part..but it is likely correct.)

Scot
 #191923  by gawlikfj

I'd also be interested in the C-425,being a ex-New Haven engine.
 #191935  by Sandy Burton

When I visited Lakeville a few weeks ago, I was told the C-425 is stored serviceable. It is fine, just not needed at the moment.

Sandy :-D