Railroad Forums 

• B&H questions

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#1451521  by BR&P

If I recall what was told to me, Mr. Arland's mailbox was painted red white and blue to go with the "USA" initials. Today that would be no big deal but back then folks were not as creative and decorative.

That info BTW was related to be by the late John Woodbury, a NYC RR clerk and lifelong railfan, who began taking railroad pictures back in the 1930's. John was a walking encyclopedia of shortline railroad information and had visited and photographed an incredible number of them across the country. Image
 #1551264  by Fireman43

In regards to the engine house - now even that is gone. As the water front continues to be developed - the property has been developed into a year round house and and traces of the shed and remaining ROW are gone. just to the north the condos along the waterfront have finally been completed. So the only trace left is the depot which has become the village office.
Have only been a patron of Hammondsport since '95, now full time summers since retired so I appreciated the pictures posted above,
One thing I'm curious about is the ROW east of 54 ( Main Street ). the tracks still exist and wonder how far they might still extend thru the brush toward the waterfront. A new park is in development in that area and need to take a walk to see what remains of any ROW through that area.
Mark
 #1554866  by nydepot

The engine house is not gone. It's overgrown in the woods and in rough shape, but it stands. Even the cupola still stands atop it. I just visited it today. I realized while I was hiking on the trail near it that you can see it and easily walk right up to it, except for a small berm. It's full of junk, discarded barrels, boat and other crap.
 #1554880  by Fireman43

Thanks
Guess I need to look “thru the trees”
 #1576518  by Fireman43

Took another look at the ROW from Main east to no where….. , hopefully I can post pictures .
Before I try on those , on remaining rails where would I look to try and find a manufacturing date? There are a few still remaining .
Do all rails have a date stamp?
Mark
 #1577752  by Fireman43

Now even those are gone - neighbor was pulling them last week with his lawn tractor .
Guess I need to stop and see if still around to see if I can try and find any dates