Railroad Forums 

• Current Military Rail Operations

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1592472  by eolesen

We won't deploy over media fear mongering, but I wouldn't put it past this Administration to decide to deploy as a distraction from their poll numbers and policy failures.
 #1599933  by newpylong

eolesen wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 am The Russians will be in Kiev by noon Eastern on Thursday. Sending US armor that won't get there for weeks doesn't accomplish much.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Yeah, how did this work out?
 #1606847  by Bracdude181

Ukraine issues aside, I have a question for anyone on here who may know about one particular operation.

Anyone know what’s been going on with the NWS Earle Railroad? In recent times they’ve cut back on the amount of engines and private railcars on the property. Word is they may shut down entirely in the future. We’ve had a brief discussion about this on the NJ railfan forum, but can anyone here possibly chime in?
 #1606884  by eolesen

newpylong wrote:
eolesen wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 am The Russians will be in Kiev by noon Eastern on Thursday. Sending US armor that won't get there for weeks doesn't accomplish much.

Yeah, how did this work out?
True, they didn't get to Kiev.

And, in the end it proved to be true that our own political leadership didn't have the courage or the will to send our own armored equipment.

The fact that the Ukrainians were able to defend their country this long is a testament to their own desire for independence.

If you ever wondered why we have the Second Amendment, the story of Ukraine is a real-time example of how an untrained force made up of civilians with rifles was able to push back on a superpower...

#1607009  by pablo

The thought that the US not sending armor of our own is viewed as weakness is a staggering misunderstanding of, well, everything.

The fact is that the US has sent literal billions and untold tons of materiel while providing crucial intel every step of the way. A pretty embarrassing previous post, all in all.
 #1607496  by NHV 669

Declare victory for what? It sounds like you still don't understand the matter....

I'm still curious as to why we're responsible for sending our men and women to needlessly participate in someone else's conflict. And somehow, we're "weak" for not doing so. I can't help but chuckle at the cluelessness there. Especially given the work in recent years to pull our equipment and personnel out of several overseas bases.
 #1607511  by eolesen

I've never once advocated for sending personnel or boots on the ground.

But... if we can send pallets of cash, rifles, rockets and ammunition, then certainly we could have also shipped off a couple hundred tanks from the Sierra Depot with some instruction manuals or videos translated into Ukrainian.

As NHV noted, we've pulled back a bunch of equipment out of overseas locations, so there's even more than enough that we can spare to donate some or transfer it thru third parties.

Once the ground freezes, look for Russian armor to take a larger role than they have.
 #1607516  by NHV 669

We were doing that when I was in, and I've been ETSed 9 years as of 10/10. We stopped sending tanks to Afghanistan 15 or so years ago, and we brought home what was in Germany within the last 10. I don't see any of that stuff heading further to Ukraine, especially with all the new equipment coming in. It isn't going to happen....