Railroad Forums 

• Falls Rd Corn Train #4

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#485563  by Farmer Joe

I got real lucky this morning after a "tip" I recieved that a corn train was coming into Medina last night. So I arrived at approximately crew change time at 9:00AM and found that the train was all unloaded and ready to move back to Lockport. That's when the fun began. I was able to chase it all the way to the eastern side of Lockport and after a few difficulties with the digital camera, managed to get a few shots.

Here is the train with CSX7515 and 8623 plus 67 cars leaving the plant.

Passing the old NYC depot in Medina. Sorry, Marty, the next time I'll get the museum in the background....

Last one for this post is on Telegraph Rd near the canal east of Gasport, NY. It was nice to see a long freight on the Falls Rd again.

#485572  by Challenger3985

sweet :D! Thanks for the images.

#485575  by lakeshoredave

it would be epic to see a freight train going over the "upsidedown bridge" in lockport.

#485617  by dj_paige

I don't know much about the Falls Road, but I am surprised to see CSX power on this train. Is that normal for these deliveries?

#485619  by nessman

Yeah - run-through power... saves time. My understanding it GVT crews take the train at Lockport and hand it over to CSX on the way back.

#485641  by RussNelson

There's no technical reason why you couldn't run the same power all the way across the country. The only problems are business and political problems, and money helps make those problems go away. Money can make technical problems go away, too, e.g. the Erie switching to standard gauge from 6' gauge.

#485659  by med-train

I think that changing power at Lockport poses a small problem. Is there any place for the engines to do a run around? Wouldn't it require having the FRR power have to hookup, test brakes and pull cars forward past the CSX power for them to return to Buffalo then return the next day to do the same thing to be able to haul the cars back to Frontier? It is just so much easier to change crews.

#485747  by WNYP431

Taking the Chessie power has not been a problem...when they're running.

This set - the C40-8 and an SD50-2 - was the best power so far....when I wanted to move, it wasn't a struggle, and when I needed to stop, it did. We've had newer units - 2004 SD70MACs - but these were by far a nicer set to unload the cars with. With the grade, spotting 60 cars over the pit - one at a time - within 3 feet or so is a challenge but we seem to be getting the kinks worked out all along the way. Carload averages have been between 10 and 12 minutes, but this train was more like an average of 8 or 9 minutes a car.

The Junction road siding is plenty long enough to swap power, but there's no need to. I like Alcos like the next guy, but I'm glad GVT is not in the mood to ask the 1802 & 2035 to handle these things.....and then have nothing to run the peddler freight with, running now MW&F each week.

I saw you, Farmer.....you make good time....like a fly you just can't swat.

...and Marty wouldn'tve wanted you to take pictures of him this early on a Sunday....you know, in his pajamas and all.

He was awake when we went through!

#485791  by Farmer Joe

Hey WNYP!

Great to see you posting! I saw you on that corn train too. I wasn't sure if you were going to be on the all nighter with EM3 or not. I'm glad to see you had a GE in the lead with this train. I heard the stories about the last two trains and their EMD leaders. Those units aren't really designed to move 50 ft at a time. They're better at going 60mph down the main.

Anyways, yes I can make great time chasing a train on that line. I used to do it all the time in the Conrail days. If my camera wasn't acting up, I'd have gotten more shots. And yes, you were looking your best up there in that big GE.

I'm thankful for knowing that train was coming in and I hope I get a chance to chase more.

Joe

I found another decent shot from today. The train is approaching Bates Rd just east of Medina and its the first crossing west of the plant.

#502122  by RailKevin

What symbols are CSX using for the grain and ethynol trains?

#502144  by charlie6017

I'm pretty sure the inbound grain is G390..............outbound ethanol--I'm not sure.

#502529  by SimTrains

The loaded ethanol cars are picked up by the Falls Road crew as needed. They don't all go out as one big train.

#502542  by nessman

So from what I can gather here it's:

Inbound unit grain with CSX run-through power with CSX/FRRR crew change at Lockport yard

Inbound Ethanol tanker empties delievered to Lockport yard? Ethanol plant?? (by who - CSX run-through or FRRR regular turn?).

Outbound Ethanol picked up by the regular Lockport-Brockport 3-day/week turn.

Outbound grain empties picked up by ????

#502713  by med-train

nessman wrote:So from what I can gather here it's:

Inbound unit grain with CSX run-through power with CSX/FRRR crew change at Lockport yard

Inbound Ethanol tanker empties delievered to Lockport yard? Ethanol plant?? (by who - CSX run-through or FRRR regular turn?).

Outbound Ethanol picked up by the regular Lockport-Brockport 3-day/week turn.

Outbound grain empties picked up by ????
Unit train crew changes are all done west of Lockport yard at Lockport Junction. Grain empties return with the CSX power to Lockport Junction within 24 hours.

Full ethanol cars are picked up at random on Mon., Wed. or Fri. and/or on Tue. or Thur. if FRRR chooses. They usually go to Lockport Yard for CSX pickup. Empties return to Lockport Yard by regular CSX runs.

Distillers grain hoppers are picked up at the ethanol plant by FRRR and return in the same manner. They transfer to CSX at Lockport Yard as regular freight does. Also a lot of distillers grain goes out by truck to dairy farms all around western NY.

Lockport Yard is pretty full most of the time now. There are usually about 30 tankers both ways every week.

#504232  by RailKevin

Time for more questions. :-D

Does anyone know where the corn comes from? I presume if it was WNY corn, then it would have been trucked in.

Does anyone know where the ethynol delivers? It would be a refinery somewhere, I suppose.