Railroad Forums 

• Claremont NH Railway and Light Company

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#901936  by JAP

Paul, thanks for posting the photo, i just couldn't upload it. It looks great. The badge was made in Boston, MA. After looking at the hallmark it appears to be made by R. Woodman? Thanks again
 #902534  by JAP

I have confirmed that the Claremont railway and Lighting Company car house is located on Lafayette St. in Claremont NH. The building is still standing and appears to be in original condition. I am unsure of who owns it now, but plan to find out in an attempt to gain access to it.
 #955166  by pgayle

JAP wrote:Leo, are all of thoes picture of the Claremont Line? Do you know where the Car house was located? I had thought I was told that it was on Sullivan St or Main St. The pictures are great! Do you have any infor on why a worker would have a badge? Thanks Josh
Hello I am new here... but wanted to jump in on this thread...
I found the Car House, it is on Lafayette Street and have a photo of it.. but I can't upload them or put a link up for some reason.

I stopped by the Historical Society in Claremont on Sunday, the only day it is opened. The two women there knew nothing about this Car Garage, nor the Rail Service in General.. I am looking for a photo of the Mulberry Street Train Station, it was where LaValley's is now.. in Fact I believe the old building that used to house Sun Pools is the old Freight Depot...

There was a postcard with the Mulberry Street Train Station on it... I had a copy of it on my computer, but somehow it was deleted.. I was looking for a photo of that and came across these post of Claremont.

in Claremont
 #955167  by pgayle

JAP wrote:Leo, are all of thoes picture of the Claremont Line? Do you know where the Car house was located? I had thought I was told that it was on Sullivan St or Main St. The pictures are great! Do you have any infor on why a worker would have a badge? Thanks Josh
Hello I am new here... but wanted to jump in on this thread...
I found the Car House, it is on Lafayette Street and have a photo of it.. but I can't upload them or put a link up for some reason.

I stopped by the Historical Society in Claremont on Sunday, the only day it is opened. The two women there knew nothing about this Car Garage, nor the Rail Service in General.. I am looking for a photo of the Mulberry Street Train Station, it was where LaValley's is now.. in Fact I believe the old building that used to house Sun Pools is the old Freight Depot...

There was a postcard with the Mulberry Street Train Station on it... I had a copy of it on my computer, but somehow it was deleted.. I was looking for a photo of that and came across these posts of Claremont and had to jump in.
 #955189  by Aa3rt

pgayle wrote:Hello I am new here... but wanted to jump in on this thread...I found the Car House, it is on Lafayette Street and have a photo of it.. but I can't upload them or put a link up for some reason.
Thanks for contributing to this topic. I'm afraid that this site won't allow you to post a photo directly-you'll have to use a photo hosting site like Flikr or Photobucket. If you need further information please contact me off line by clicking on the "Aa3rt" under my avatar. You'll find links to either send me a PM (Private Message) or via email. Art (Aa3rt) Audley, moderator.

EDIT: A big thanks, and tip of the Railroad.Net hat to pgayle for sharing this photo and to site admin Jeff Smith for routing it to me show that it could find its way to this thread!

#1002774  by JAP

Thanks to everyone who posted. I found a little book on the rail road with the complete history behind it, on the first page I there was a picture of my great grandfather standing in front of the car barn. I will try to scan it and post the contents for all to enjoy
 #1036796  by sjwhitney

Indeed you did find the Claremont Railway car barn. I was the one who did the article series in Railroad Model Craftsman magazine. Very little of the railway exists today with the carbarn being the most prominent piece. Some track exists out along the extended portion of Main Street (NH Rts 12 & 103) but that's about it. I have a section of the old overhead wire in my basement as well. If you ever come to Claremont again, I can show you many of the details.

SJW
 #1036807  by Aa3rt

Mr. Whitney-Thanks for checking in here! For those who may have missed the mention of the article(s) on the first page of this thread, Mr. Whitney's articles appeared in Railroad Model Craftsman in the November 1993 through February 1994 issues.
 #1037222  by sjwhitney

I'm here again to weigh in on a couple more questions...
Firstly, I'm all too aware that the good folks at our historical society have little knowledge of the rail system in Claremont. That's why I have taken on the job so to speak. The BEST place to get information is the Pinsly Railroads Yahoo group that I run:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pinsly_Railroads/

As for the station and freight house in the yard at Claremont, neither exists now. The depot was torn down in the late 50's and the freight house when LaValleys was built.