Railroad Forums 

• Lewiston, Augusta and Waterville (Maine) Street Rwy.

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#432690  by trainsinmaine

I've been a railfan almost all of my 56 years, but it's only recently that I've developed an interest in trolleys and old trolley lines. I spent an afternoon last week tracing the ROW of the old LA&W Street Railway from Augusta to Waterville, Maine. Several weeks ago I had found a copy of O.R. Cummings' book on it, published on 1963, and though I didn't have the book in hand when I made the trip, I was able to locate most of the roadbed. There is a power line running along several miles of it, and as a result I found the roadbed to be remarkably intact, especially near and along Webber Pond in Vassalborough. The Vassalborough power house, on the edge of the pond, is still standing and appears to be in excellent condition --- a large and handsome brick building. (I couldn't access it because of No Trespassing signs.)

It was a lot of fun to find this old ROW, and I know there are many more around Maine and New England (I've also found some remnants of the Auburn-to-Portland line).

Any info. on finding old trolley lines, bridges, artifacts, etc., will be much appreciated. I had a great time a couple of years ago tracing the Berkshire Street Railway roadbed from East Lee to Huntington, Mass. That, too, can be fairly easily found and is in good shape.

#433800  by 3rdrail

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20061 ... y&BOOL=ALL

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20060 ... y&BOOL=ALL

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ullman0517

These were all up your way (Portland area) some years back. I don't know if they remain. Also in Portland, I believe that it was off of Veranda St. on the right on it's own private ROW as it approaches the Presumscot River, that the old trolley tracks were still in cobblestone heading downgrade towards what I believe was a trolley bridge. I'd be willing to bet that this, and probably most of the others are long gone. I'll bet the old P & Y E Ry Co six-track barn is still standing. Good luck hunting ! Isn't traction great ???!!!
 #582507  by 4266

I believe the Seashore Trolley Museum has an old station shack from the Auburn-Portland line. I've been trying to find any other info on Maine traction, but haven't had any luck. Any suggestions?
 #582557  by 3rdrail

There's a lot of written material out there on lines in Maine. Most is probably by company or regionalized. I think that Seashore's Book Store would be a good place to start. Also, good traction books such as Middleton's The Time of the Trolley invariably will have stories about local regions which usually include Maine. I have a booklet about the Portland Company and I have seen other companies represented as well from up "theyah".