A: According the Switchback Gravity Railroad Foundation Inc.'s Web site, the railroad was built in 1827 to haul anthracite coal from the mines at Summit Hill to the Lehigh River in Mauch Chunk, now known as Jim Thorpe, in Carbon County.
Although originally constructed to transport coal, the managers of Lehigh Coal & Navigation, creators of the Gravity Railroad, soon realized that the unique trip through the Pocono woodlands could be converted into a thrill ride.
As the coal industry faded, the train — powered by gravity for the trip down the mountain and originally by mule for the trip up — became a popular tourist attraction. The train's downhill trip could reach up to speeds of 50 miles per hour, according to the Jim Thorpe Today Web site.
The 18-mile round-trip ride closed in 1933, and the equipment sold for scrap in 1937, the foundation's Web site reveals.
In 1976, the Gravity Railroad, also known as Mauch Chunk and Summit Hill Switchback Railroad, was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Today, the railroad is generally acknowledged as the first roller coaster in the United States, and the railroad bed is part of a biking and hiking trail.
To learn more about the railroad, visit the foundation's Web site at http://www.switchbackgravityrr.org
; write P.O. Box 73 Jim Thorpe, PA 18229-0073; or phone (570) 325-8255.
THE MOUNTAIN VIEW TROLLEY LINE IN STROUDSBURG
The Mountain View Trolley was established on July 10, 1907, after booming tourism increased the need for transportation between Stroudsburg and the town of Delaware Water Gap. In the late 1800s, visitors began flocking to the region to enjoy the beautiful scenery and pristine wildlife. Built by the J. R. Brill Company in Philadelphia, the Mountain View Trolley ran on a narrow-gauge track and was capable of hauling a large number of passengers. The trolley cars operated on overhead wires and battery power and ran year-round, shuttling residents and visitors and working as a school bus for local schoolchildren. The introduction of motor coaches and automobiles brought about the end of the trolley age, and the Mountain View Trolley ended its run in September 1928 http://books.google.com/books/about/Mou ... ou3EyBFbYC
Info also says it ran from 7th Street, Stroudsburg to the gap. Since 7th Street crosses the bridge and becomes Park Ave, perhaps what you mention may have been a car barn?
The Stroudsburg, Water Gap & Portland Railway was a trolley interurban that connected the namesake cities until around 1928. It was also known as the "Mountain View Trolley" because of it's spectacular views and the double horseshoe curve necessary to lift the cars to the summit of Godfrey's Ridge between the towns of Delaware Water Gap and Stroudsburg, PA. In the early part of the 20th Century, the trolley line published 8 views showing the interesting features of the railway. This is number 1 of the set. It shows the trolley crossing over the 4th street trestle. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/s ... ley-view-4 http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0105/swg2.jpg
See also if you can find: Trolleys to the Delaware Water Gap by Benson Rohrbeck.