Railroad Forums 

• "Public Service of New jersey" freight?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#288434  by salminkarkku

Does anyone know if the PSNJ carried any LCL freight anywhere on its system? I'm thinking especially of its lines south of Camden NJ, where the steam railroads did not go.

#290972  by BaltOhio

I've never seen references to freight service on the PSNJ system, nor have I seen any roster that shows freight motors -- not even on the Trenton Fast Line, which was as close as Public Service came to a true interurban line, and which served a territory that was several miles from the nearest steam lines. The only exception that I'm aware of was a very short-lived operation on the Camden-Trenton "Riverside" line, which began in September 1921 using a rebuilt snow plow. Possibly there were other attempts like this, but if so, they also expired quickly.

Essentially, though, the PS system was a collection of ordinary streetcar lines in urbanized territories, and possibly any potential freight services would have been too short to compensate for the manual freight handling costs. Since LCL is a labor-intensive service, you need a decent line-haul revenue to make any money, and there may not have been that many opportunities. The gauge difference between the lines north and south of Trenton also would have precluded any truly long-distance package service between, say, the Essex and Hudson Division's urban complex and Camden. Freight service also would have needed railroad cooperation for any traffic beyond PS's immediate territory, and most railroads (especially the PRR) were hostile to traffic agreements with electric lines.

#291797  by JimBoylan

I think that the Fast Line did have carload freight service on part of the route between Trenton and New Brunswick, probably coal cars. When abandonment was proposed, there was a suggestion that the PRR take over that short stretch. The junction may have been with the Freehold & Jamesburg Agricultural Railroad.
They must have had a work car with knuckle couplers, maybe the same one used at Plank Rd. Shops to switch the flat cars that brought the used PCC cars.

#305154  by Rich T

Work car 5221 in the Newark Subway was the line car and freight motor on the Newark Trenton Fast Line. There was a track connection along the PRR Jamesburg - Monmouth Junction line near Deans. A photo of the 5221 coupled to a PRR outside frame box car is in my collection.

This car had been still in Public Service work car green until painted red with yellow trucks some time in the 1980's. Other than having a side panel removed, different trucks than those in the 1920's era photo, and the MCB couplers removed, there wasn't much change in appearance until a pantograph was installed for the new catenary.

5221 is probably out at the subway shops in Bloomfield as this is being written.