Railroad Forums 

• Rochester Subway DVD Video Clip - The Phantom Run

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#192946  by maddogmike

THE END OF THE LINE - ROCHESTER'S SUBWAY
...SHOOTING "THE PHANTOM RUN"

I thought some folks here might appreciate a look at our phantom run of Rochester's Subway.

The challenge: to recreate a trip through Rochester, New York's Broad Street tunnel.

The execution required the use of a Steadicam, several high powered flashlights, and multiple takes. The resulting piece replicates the perspective of a motorman driving through the entire mile and a half of the abandoned tunnel. Dreamlike and unreal, only the missing tracks remind you that it is somehow impossible.

See an online video preview here:
http://animatusstudio.com/subway/subwayphantomrun.html
 #193029  by Komachi

Now that was cool. Very erie (which is the effect I think you guys were after), but cool.

The shot of the burning car reminded me of footage from a TCPT (Twin Cities Public Television) special, "Lost Twin Cities." There they show one of the TCRT (Twin Cities Rapid Transit) antique wooden cars on its roof, burning, with "PROGRESS" painted on the side. (Progress, eh? Is that why the Twin Cities is starting to go back to "light rail?")

Anyway, I haven't had the chance to catch it on the History Channel, but will deffinately look into buying a copy.

#197208  by maddogmike

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the documentary aired many times on the History Channel. For the DVD, though, we have several extras that haven't been released before.

Here's a video clip from the news about the production: http://animatusstudio.com/subway/subpressrnews.html