Railroad Forums 

• Jersey City, PSCT on Ocean Avenue??

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#159273  by bellstbarn

Around 1946, my Dad and I toured most of the Public Service streetcar lines in Hudson County. I know of no route on Ocean Avenue, which runs parallel to the Jackson car line in Greenville. Yet there is an NJ Transit bus 81 from Exchange Place to Bayonne, using Ocean Avenue through Greenville and Avenue C through Bayonne. On a map, it looks suspiciously like a route that was a streetcar long ago, because of its origin at Exchange Place and its directness. I don't have a copy of that excellent compendium of all PSCT trolley lines (Hamm), but would anyone happen to know whether this route was at some time a trolley line?
Thanks. Joe McMahon

#159288  by AndyB

Ocean Ave did have a car line, the "Greenville" line.

From Exchange Place - Montgomery St to Washington St. to Grand St. to Ocean Ave to Merritt ST to Ave.C (Bayonne) to Bergen Point / Staten Island Ferry.

One of the oldest routes in Jersey City. Started as horse car line late 1850s.
1870s saw the use of small steam locos pulling trailers.

Last street cars ran in the late 30s.

I wonder if this would qualify as the oldest operating route for New Jersey Transit.

#159355  by bellstbarn

Many thanks, Andy B, for sharing your knowledge. You have answered several puzzles at once. Much appreciated.
Joe McMahon
 #885845  by HBLR

There are still supports for the trolly wire here and there. They are painted green and many of them are used to support traffic lights or data cables.