Railroad Forums 

• Cere's Colisium Former Trolley Powerhouse and Round House

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#141686  by railwatcher

From the Olean Times Herald report about the Colisium In Ceres, NY burned following being hit by a tractor trailer. Once housed a trolley powerhouse and roundhouse for Olean.

Attached is part of the story from the Olean Times Herald Newspaper.

home : news : news : community news

Fiery crash destroys roller rink

By JOHN T. EBERTH, The Times Herald 06/28/2005

Email to a friend Printer-friendly

BOLIVAR — More than 150 firefighters from departments in New York and Pennsylvania battled a fire at the Coliseum roller rink early this morning.
Bolivar First Assistant Fire Chief Terry Bentley said Bolivar firefighters were called the scene around 1:10 a.m. after a tractor-trailer hauling canned fruit and vegetables slammed into the east wall of the Coliseum. The driver jumped out of the truck just before it hit the wall.
“That probably saved his life,” Assistant Chief Bentley said.
The Coliseum’s 5-foot thick foundation deflected the engine and cab of the truck and the trailer continued on, ramming through the 106-year-old building’s brick wall.
Bolivar Second Assistant Fire Chief James Beaton said when firefighters got to the scene, the truck was in flames.
“The truck was fully involved and the gas tanks were blowing up,” he said.
Troopers said the truck was driven by Richard F. Larkin, 52, of Shinglehouse, Pa. He was taken to Jones Memorial Hospital in Wellsville for treatment of a laceration to his lower left leg. Hospital officials said he was treated and released.
Mr. Larkin was heading west on Route 417 at the time of the accident. Troopers said he told them he swerved to avoid hitting something in the road and lost control of the truck. He was not charged. Troopers said an investigation into the accident continues.
T.J. Shaw of Portville and his wife, Lanette, bought the Coliseum 12 years ago when they found out someone wanted to buy it and turn it into a bar.
“We’ve got enough bars around here,” Mr. Shaw said as he looked over the damage this morning. “My kids grew up here. I skated here and so did my dad and so did my grandfather. We wanted to keep it the way it was.”
Mrs. Shaw said an early estimate of the damage is $750,000. Mr. Shaw said he plans to meet with his insurance agent later today. He’s not sure if the Coliseum can be rebuilt.
“The thing is, the replacement cost to turn it back to the way it was are going to be very high,” he said. “It may be impossible.”
Mr. Shaw said the building’s slate roof is worth $200,000 to $250,000 alone. Inside the building was decorated with brass fixtures. The Coliseum began life as the powerhouse and roundhouse for an electric trolley company in 1900. The trolley company ran cars between Olean, Bolivar and Bradford, Pa. Mr. Shaw said during the 1940s the Coliseum was a ballroom.
“During the big-band era a lot of famous performers came here,” he said. “Lawrence Welk played here. There’s a lot of history in that building.”
Mr. Shaw said he’s just glad no one got hurt fighting the fire.
“I told them when I saw the flames lighting underneath the building, not to take any chances,” he said. “Nobody had been hurt so far and I didn’t want anybody to get hurt fighting the fire. Buildings can be replaced, people can’t.”
Bolivar Fire Chief Randy Torrey said the fire was under control about two hours after firefighters got on the scene. He credited his men and the help they got from surrounding companies with keeping the fire from spreading