Railroad Forums 

• IRT Hudson River Trolley

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#115228  by R44 5212 A Train

I have a book with old pictures of my town. A 1913 map showed a trolley going from the NJT Broadway train station to the Hudson River. It was operated by the "INTERBOROUGH R. T. CO." I know automatically that it was the same IRT that opened the first NYC Subway. Can anyone give me more info about this line...like it's route and stations, and what kind of cars it used, and how long it existed? I'm curious. Too bad it doesn't exist now, I'd love using a streetcar every time I went into the city!

#115787  by AndyB

Since your loction is Fair Lawn I am assuming that the Broadway you are talking about is the Broadway coming out of Paterson. This was the route of the Hudson River Line (Public Service trolley) between Paterson and the Ferry at Edgwater. One of the early companies that made up this route was the Ridgefield and Teaneck (R.T. sorry no I.)
The "IRT" never operated in New Jersey. It maybe an extreme posibility that IRT bankrollers had some money invested in Jersey but I know of no occurrence.
Would be interested in your documentation. What book are you getting this from?
 #120033  by R44 5308 A Train

The book was "Images of America: Fair Lawn" by Elaine B. Winshell and Jane Lyle Diepeveen. :-)