Railroad Forums 

• West Penn Railway Track Charts

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#105750  by Ralph D Kautz

Does anyone know where I can get or where to contact or do you have Track Charts or Trackage Maps of the West Penn Railway in the Following Divisions.Irwin Pa to Trafford Pa,Irwin Pa to Mckeesport Pa and Trackage diagrams,charts or maps of the trackage in Irwin Pa.I am very interested in this material for a possible book.If anyone can help or supply information please contact me at [email protected] help with this would be gatefuly appreciated.
 #108344  by Ralph D Kautz

Thank You but I already have found that Site.I still amlooking for track charts or topigraphical Maps of the lines.On historical topographical Maps site I found a map of the Greensburg to Irwin Line of the West Penns Predessor but nothing beyond there ,I really need a map like that one only in the 1920's before the Mckeesport Line was pulled up in 1938.and the Trafford Line before 1942 when the line was cut back to Larimer.It was cut back to Irwin in 1948.I thank you for taking the time to research the Information for me.Again thank you Dan K
 #108893  by russp

Try the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington, PA. They may have some info. See their web site for e-mail or snail mail address. If you want just general track alignments, the USGS 7 1/2 degree topos of the area that came out in the 60s and 70s are sufficiently detailed that many of the old WP grades can be picked out. If you don't live near a library that has Penna topo maps, you can find the entire US at www.topozone.com
 #108995  by Ralph D Kautz

Thank You For you Suggestion,I already have a query in at the Penna.Trolley Museum Site and also at the Connellesville Coal Mining Historical Site.I am now trying to find anything that those sites may not have.I want to thank you for answering this queryand taking the time to research this subject.Dan K
 #118838  by Ralph D Kautz

I recently found a copy of the CREA 110 Bulletin(Book) and discovered a very good map showing the Mckeesport Line (Mckeesport & Irwin Street Railway) of the West Penn.Begining at Mckeesport Junction(Main Street and Pennsylvania Ave.) proceed west in conjuction with The Irwin Hermine Traction Line(prior to 1931) on the Irwin Hahntown Road (now marked Main Street on contempory Maps) past Fairmont,The Westmoreland Mine(Adams Mine) acrossed from the bar at Hahntown Wendel Road,proceed up hill until you go on to what is now Rose Street (old trolley road bed) at the second Street in Hahntown the Irwin Hermine and West Penn Railways Mckeesport Line Branched Away from each other.The West Penn Line went acrossed the Yough Branch of the PRR on a Bridge up the hill and west bound.It ran West bound until it intersected Robins Station Road.There was A Car House Siding here appox.where the park is today at the bend in the road.The line then proceeded to Long Run Road/Lincoln Way.It joined this road at the bend where it turns west.I am unsure if it had it's own ROW or ran along side of the road,satellite photos show what looks like a ROW on the South side of Long Run Road.The line ran in conjuction with the road through what is now White Oak/old Rainbow Gardens acrossed what is now PA 48,to 5th Ave in Mckeesport before 1924,where it ran concurrent with PRC (Pittsburgh Railways Company to Ringold Ave Terminal,After 1924 until abandonment in 1938 it reach Ringold Terminal by turning on Robinson Street to PRW (Privet Right Of Way) toAnderson Ave,Marion Ave.,Versallies Ave.Union Street,Shaw Ave. toSixth Ave to RingoldAve Terminal.This is all I have Found so far ,but I am still searching for track charts and trackage maps of the line and Down Town Irwin.Any help would be gratly appreciated Dan